Water change problem - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water change problem

Hey guys next week I'm setting up my second tank a 50 gallon. I originally was gonna use a python setup but quickly realized a problem, my sink and every other faucet available isn't compatible I got square ones where you can't hook it up to the python. My bathroom is about 10 feet away from my tank location but really don't wanna go with buckets so I guess my only option would be using a pump. I plan on buying 15ft of 5/8 tubing or 3/4 and just use that to drain to the tub and then to fill fill the tub with the appropriate temp water and add a pump to the tubing and refill tank plus add prime. Does anyone else do something similar or any other suggestions for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylermn93 View Post
Hey guys next week I'm setting up my second tank a 50 gallon. I originally was gonna use a python setup but quickly realized a problem, my sink and every other faucet available isn't compatible I got square ones where you can't hook it up to the python. My bathroom is about 10 feet away from my tank location but really don't wanna go with buckets so I guess my only option would be using a pump. I plan on buying 15ft of 5/8 tubing or 3/4 and just use that to drain to the tub and then to fill fill the tub with the appropriate temp water and add a pump to the tubing and refill tank plus add prime. Does anyone else do something similar or any other suggestions for me?

The aerator on your kitchen faucet has round threads, that's where a python hooks to. Doesn't matter what the shape of the body of the faucet is, you unscrew the aerator, screw in an adapter for the python, hook in, and reinstall the aerator when your done. They also sell extension hoses that couple in if you need more length to get to your tank.

FYI most bathroom fixtures have a non-removable aerator, I've wrecked the finish on two with pliers trying to before thinking it was just stuck
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, faucet for filling washing machine may be close enough and usually have standard thread type fixture that python would easily screw into?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Can't regulate the temp of water from a washing machine hookup though roadmaster, it's either hot or cold, no in-between.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
it doesnt matter the shape of the fossett most if not all have round thread hook ups just unscrew the one in it and screw the python on. Make sure when u unscrew the one that is currently in it that the seal comes out with it so u dont loose it. If yours is a different thread size then get a step up or step down from Lowes or home depot
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Can't regulate the temp of water from a washing machine hookup though roadmaster, it's either hot or cold, no in-between.
Hmm, me thinks I did not consider that a problem, but I used to do this for storing water in a large tote for water changes where I could heat the water a day before using it.
I live in old house where only faucet that will take the python is the kitchen.
I did unscrew the end of this faucet and then went to hardware store to find male/male adapter with fine threads on one end, and standard thread that fit the python on the other.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
As a plumber I have not seen very many aerators that can not be removed, sometimes they require cleaning from sediment and you would have some seriously peeved people if some sediment got into the faucet and it could not be cleaned out and you had to junk the faucet. Moen and delta sometimes require a "key" to take them out if they are recessed. I would look closer at the fauced and this will be a lot easier than heating totes of water and pumping.

I'd your aerator is stuck get a bigger wrench, and take it off(bigger wrench comment to be taken with some common sense) if you mess up the finish you can get another at the big box store or from the manufacture

lots to learn...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

I forgot to add they make a connector for washing machines that is like a Y shaped hose so you can connect the hot and cold into one hose. This way you can modulate the temp and use it for direct fills.

lots to learn...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
it doesnt matter the shape of the fossett most if not all have round thread hook ups just unscrew the one in it and screw the python on. Make sure when u unscrew the one that is currently in it that the seal comes out with it so u dont loose it. If yours is a different thread size then get a step up or step down from Lowes or home depot
My AWC came with the adapter one needs to hook into the faucet. Also you want to use that rubber seal with the adapter, just make sure it's in place when you hook up your AWC and also when you reinstall the aerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmurray View Post
I forgot to add they make a connector for washing machines that is like a Y shaped hose so you can connect the hot and cold into one hose. This way you can modulate the temp and use it for direct fills.
Forgot about those...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Shower heads in more recently built (or renovated) houses are quite easy to take off, and accept standard 1/2" pipe thread fittings.
I got an adapter to hose threads and connect a garden hose to the shower head. In warm weather I direct fill from this, just a little hot water and lots of cold to make it the right temp.
In winter I fill a garbage can (rubbermaid brute) and aerate the water before I use it. I might run it extra warm, knowing that by the time I use it (half an hour or an hour later) it will be closer to tank temperature.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
You could always do what I do, for my 100 gallon. I have a pond pump, about 300 gph, and after I have sucked out the poop and stuff, which goes into a rubbermaid garbage can-I drop the pond pump in and take out the remaining water I want to change that day. The hose for the pond pump is long enough that it reaches to the kitchen sink. Then when I am done taking it out, I reverse the process, filing the sink with a constant water flow. A kitchen sink averages about 4 gallons.

As Diana said, you can adjust the temp of the water this way too. I also monitor this, adding a few drops of prime every minute or so. In all, this takes me about a half hour to do the 100 gal. (40-50%) And I am very picky about the temp. I use a instant digital thermometer in the sink while the tank is filling up. I never let the temp fluctuate more than .01 degree. In the summer, I have to use ice, because the water coming out of the faucet is like 84 degrees, and my 100 is at 81.5. Pretty simple really. It's easier to handle than my nano tanks!!!

My Toys; 100 gal. Clown Loach tank, 40 breeder community tank, 7.5 gal Emerald Rasboras, & Dwarf Cories, 17 Gal. Aquascaped Rimless Cube, Pygmy Cories, Embers, Dwarf Cories, Amano Shrimp, 3 plant/shrimp tanks, 300 gallon formal water lily pond, 150 gal. pond.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
You probably already thought of this, but do you have outside spigots you could use? When I moved, I had the same problem, but I found that there was a spigot for my backyard right outside the window near my tank. I just ran the python through the window. (Wouldn't work in the winter, but that helped me until I got a longer python.)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

So a couple of years ago I purchased a countertop dishwasher for the house. I have an older house that hadn't been renovated since built in 1969, had no dishwasher and I didn't have the time or money to install a regular washer from scratch. Anyway... I replaced the original since faucet with a pull-out nozzle, and it wouldn't work with the quick attach fitting for the dishwasher. I went to lowes and bought a cheap faucet, installed it in the pre-existing hole where the original spray nozzle went, and teed into the connections for the hot and cold water. Worked perfectly for the dishwasher.

Recently, I got a python alternative, and use this same faucet. I went to lowes again, and got a quick connect adapter for a garden hose. It works with the dishwasher adapter also, so it takes seconds to disconnect/connect whenever I need to switch them out.

tl/dr:

Install a new faucet?

|
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneS22 View Post
You could always do what I do, for my 100 gallon. I have a pond pump, about 300 gph, and after I have sucked out the poop and stuff, which goes into a rubbermaid garbage can-I drop the pond pump in and take out the remaining water I want to change that day. The hose for the pond pump is long enough that it reaches to the kitchen sink. Then when I am done taking it out, I reverse the process, filing the sink with a constant water flow. A kitchen sink averages about 4 gallons.

As Diana said, you can adjust the temp of the water this way too. I also monitor this, adding a few drops of prime every minute or so. In all, this takes me about a half hour to do the 100 gal. (40-50%) And I am very picky about the temp. I use a instant digital thermometer in the sink while the tank is filling up. I never let the temp fluctuate more than .01 degree. In the summer, I have to use ice, because the water coming out of the faucet is like 84 degrees, and my 100 is at 81.5. Pretty simple really. It's easier to handle than my nano tanks!!!
Good idea, I'd be inclined to use the garbage can to do the fill also, our kitchen sink is usually full of detergent and who know's what has been tipped in there (testing chemicals etc).
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'd be worried about filling up the tub and pumping it into the tank, unless that tub absolutely never ever gets used. Otherwise there will be contaminants in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode