My husband did a bad thing :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My husband did a bad thing :(

I have stopped trying to plot ways of murdering him, because it was a nice gesture but he really should think before he tries another one. I had my tank all nice and set up, had my little dwarf puffer happily settling in over the weekend. She was eating wonderfully and was the cutest thing. I left the house Sunday to run errands that I had been putting off and when I got home, the hubby says he has a surprise for me. He tells me to go look in my tank. I get concerned because he has no clue about fish...like none.

I got over to the tank and there sitting inside was a big, beautiful pink colored Betta fish. I am not going to lie, he is a handsome fellow but I panicked. I started yelling for him to get me a net as the Betta needed to go back into his cup (not to stay permanently). As I was trying to fish the Betta out, I was explaining to him that the puffer was a single tank only fish and that they could kill each other. I got the fish out of the tank, he told me that the Betta had been in there all morning and afternoon and seemed happy enough.

I started looking for the puffer. Nothing. I wait for 15min for her to come out of hiding and still nothing. I start tearing apart the tank, looking for her. Still nothing. Almost all the planted stems had been pulled, I moved one of the driftwood pieces and I found her. She was missing her tail and had been dead for a bit.

Needless to say, the hubby is not allowed to mess with the tank from now. No more surprise fish! I made him go bury her in the backyard as a proper pet should be. I am not going to hold a grudge over the Betta, he was just doing what comes naturally and she was probably the aggressor. So now I own one Betta and I had to rescape the tank.

/sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ouch. I'm not sure I'd have been so forgiving.

Can you return the betta and get another puffer? Seems a shame to give up the fish you actually wanted.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Years ago my wife bought me a fish surprise of two young Oscars. Seems I had made the mistake of mentioning that I liked they way they looked when they r small. I do not like the adults so never wanted any. Fortunately she also bought a 20long to keep them in. Got rid of the Oscars after awhile. The tank is long broke and gone but 30 years later I still have and use the stand that came with the tank. Must gave painted it four or five times over the years.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, nothing worse than surprise pets.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Ouch. I'm not sure I'd have been so forgiving.

Can you return the betta and get another puffer? Seems a shame to give up the fish you actually wanted.
What can I say...I married the guy, forgiving sort of comes with the territory. I get guilting privileges now too.

No. It's hard for me to just give away an animal brought into my home. I feel responsible for him now. I already named him too, calling him Sid Fishious...his face reminds me of Sid Vicious, if any of you know who that is
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofgreen View Post
What can I say...I married the guy, forgiving sort of comes with the territory. I get guilting privileges now too.

No. It's hard for me to just give away an animal brought into my home. I feel responsible for him now. I already named him too, calling him Sid Fishious...his face reminds me of Sid Vicious, if any of you know who that is
HA, adorable name
I'd set up a new tank for the betta and get yourself another puffer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
This is an opportunity to set up another tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took a few pictures of the murderous beast...he's a big Betta. His cup calls him a Butterfly but I don't really take the word of the box store hubby bought him from as truth.

Here's Sid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
This is an opportunity to set up another tank!
Don't think I wasn't tempted to tell the hubby that!

Last edited by touchofgreen; 11-10-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: adding a quote
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I read the title and thought he cheated on you, or something. Poor puffer. :[ But that is a gorgeous Betta.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pets are bad gifts as you may already know lol

I once got a hamster as a surprise gift, which went from a hassle to me actually liking the little fella. He died unexpectedly though :/
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your not the only one to get surprise fish over the weekend, roommate woke me from my nap Saturday with a bag containing 4 glow light tetras and 4 neons

As I have no isolation tank on hand I explained the importance of isolation, roommate felt so guilty he went and bought a 10gal kit from wallymart and a heater Those will be the last surprise fish I'll be getting from him
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow I would hate to see what he would do to you if he didn't like you. I also think it's kind of sweet that he thought of you. My spouse thinks I'm crazy for spending so much time with my pets. Just me but I would love it if she would show more interest.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
Wow I would hate to see what he would do to you if he didn't like you. I also think it's kind of sweet that he thought of you. My spouse thinks I'm crazy for spending so much time with my pets. Just me but I would love it if she would show more interest.
That's why I couldn't stay mad at him. I mean, he tried to take an interest in my hobby. I guess he thought the tank was empty or that the puffer was so small it wouldn't be an issue? It at least sparked a conversation about fish and tanks...he got to learn more about things, so good did come of it. I really am not angry with him, things happen and I probably should have explained the dynamics of fish keeping to him a while ago.

If we had the room (or budget for that matter) I'd totally get another tank, but we're saving for a full kitchen refacing so we can move faster. My puffer will have to wait. As for Sid, he's pretty cool I have to admit. He's been staring at me while I eat breakfast, I think he's hungry.

5.5 gal tank with one Betta named Sid Fishious
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You sound similar to me. I can't complain to much because she let me have a whole room for my hobby and she doesn't bother me to much about what I spend so it could be a lot worst and who knows were we would be if she was as interested. We might be in south American study discus habitat
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
The rule is pretty simple: if you are generally not involved and not specifically invited to help with something, then you can look but not touch.

Our hobby takes time and special knowledge if you want things done right. Let others know that you DO want things done right, so the above rule applies.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode