Cleaning driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cleaning driftwood

So I had this pretty sweet piece of driftwood that I had left outside and forgot it there. Well I came back later and it was in the garbage! My father had tossed it in there cause he thought it no good.

Is there anyway I can clean it off or soak it in something so it's safe to put in my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depends on what was in the garbage with it. If it's hazardous chemicals, then probably not. If it's just really gross rotting banana peels and food scraps, I'd take a toothbrush and scrub it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Too large to boil? Put it in a large bin and soak in a weak bleach solution, then soak in water for a day or two? Hydrogen peroxide? Just throwing some ideas out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pressure washer, or one of the hose attachments that has a pretty strong blast like a pressure washer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do lots of wood and want the easiest , most effective way. I do it like the health departments require done on new water equipment like waterlines or towers. They require a bleach soak. It is effective and nothing is much easier.
A container large enough to hold the wood, an empty tank if nothing else. Add a 1/2 cup or so of bleach that does not have scent added. The cheap stuff? Let it soak overnight or until you get back around to the job and then take it out. Rinse it to make it better to handle and then let it dry until the smell is gone and totally dry.
The only hard part is that you DO NOT get the bleach on your clothes.
The only difference in the bleach soak and the chlorine already in most of our water is the amount of water diluting the bleach.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just wash it then pour boiling water over it, will be fine. Unless of course what someone else said and it was with chemicals then I wouldn't bother.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's where I go for the bleach soak, since you can't get boiling water out of the faucet. It is much safer than working with all the time it takes to really get water boiling and then all the risk of burns while it still doesn't do anything for pesticides or anything that may have crawled up into the cracks of wood.
Compared to cleaning out a water tower after a bunch of welders and painters have lived in it for a couple days, cleaning a piece of wood is no big thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode