I do lots of wood and want the easiest , most effective way. I do it like the health departments require done on new water equipment like waterlines or towers. They require a bleach soak. It is effective and nothing is much easier.
A container large enough to hold the wood, an empty tank if nothing else. Add a 1/2 cup or so of bleach that does not have scent added. The cheap stuff? Let it soak overnight or until you get back around to the job and then take it out. Rinse it to make it better to handle and then let it dry until the smell is gone and totally dry.
The only hard part is that you DO NOT get the bleach on your clothes.
The only difference in the bleach soak and the chlorine already in most of our water is the amount of water diluting the bleach.