Dissolved Oxygen problem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dissolved Oxygen problem?

I have a tank that seems to have a problem with low dissolved oxygen (fish gasping at the surface unless I run an airstone). Any suggestions on what could be causing this and how I could resolve it? I'd prefer not to run the airstone if possible to maintain some CO2 for the plants.

Details of the tank are below. If there is any useful troubleshooting details I'm leaving out let me know.

Size: 60 gallon (48" x 13" surface area)
Moderately planted
CO2: none added
Lighting: 108 watts of HO florescent
Fish: ~20 small fish (patties, glowlight tetras, cory cats, bristlenose plecos)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate <5 ppm
pH: ~7.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

While I'm no expert and will let others chime in, I believe if you are not running CO2 delivery into the tank, surface agitation (Which the air stone accomplishes) actually will provide more CO2 to your plants.

I think lack of dissolved O2 is due to surface tension holding the water at it's exact levels. From what I understand the air stone itself only creates surface agitation which allows for O2 to enter the water column from the air.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you running any type of filter that moves the water column and provides surface agitation? If not then using an air stone might be your only option unless you want to perform water changes everyday.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
u might want to try and raise your outtake of your filter head to make more surface agitation to alow for more o2. NO need for an air stone because thats all the air stone is meant to do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicFish View Post
Are you running any type of filter that moves the water column and provides surface agitation? If not then using an air stone might be your only option unless you want to perform water changes everyday.
Yeah, that was probably important information to include. :P I'm running a canister filter, theoretically 300 gph flow rate. There are some reasonably strong currents in the water, but not much surface agitation. That might make sense as the issue.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
While I'm no expert and will let others chime in, I believe if you are not running CO2 delivery into the tank, surface agitation (Which the air stone accomplishes) actually will provide more CO2 to your plants.

I think lack of dissolved O2 is due to surface tension holding the water at it's exact levels. From what I understand the air stone itself only creates surface agitation which allows for O2 to enter the water column from the air.
Hmm... I'd always heard that surface agitation reduces CO2, but I think I could see how in the absence of supplemental CO2 surface agitation would replenish what was used up. But chemistry is definitely not my strong suit, so I'd be interested to hear if what others think about this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you aren't running any supplemental CO2 in the tank, surface agitation would probably increase the CO2 in your tank.

Think of it this way: You put in water that has x amount of CO2, the water and the air will try to equalize all gasses O2 and CO2. As the plants use up CO2 the tank water will equalize with the air and bring in more CO2. The same goes for O2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode