New To Planted Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New To Planted Tanks

Hello,

This is my fish tank. It's a 3 gal half moon, with a 10 watt 65,000k bulb( that I believe I run way too long, but I don't have a timer control yet.) The filter is a Whisper small and I plan to buy another for the other side soon. In my tank I have the Betta, Mr. Fins, 3 ghost shrimp, and a pond snail. The pond snail is going to be re-homed because it keeps on laying eggs on my mystery plant, and I don't want the plant to be damaged.

Now about the mystery plant. I bought it 4 days ago and I'm not sure what it is or the care for it. I thought it was an Amazon swords, but now I don't think so after comparing pictures. It might be a marble queen, the leaves have the same ridge on each side, but again, no clue. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the name of this plant so I can research the care. I don't have CO2, fertilizers, Excel, iron, root taps, or anything like that. I have read conflicting information on whether or not all/some of that is needed in a tank my size. Oh, I also do water changes on the tank once to twice a week depending in the ammonia levels.

Thank you,
Whippy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	569.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	389098  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The reason it is difficult to identify is those leaves are likely from being grown emersed instead of submerged so the plant has not yet adapted to growing underwater. The rounder shape of those leaves will likely give way to longer narrower leaves as new growth emerges.

It could be this plant:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...hinodorus_Rose
But I am not expert in matters of aquatic taxonomy and may well be wrong.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I'll do some research on that plant.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Please ignore the fake plant. I just have it in there till my tank gets a little more grown in.

I am wanting to cover the rock hide that's in my tank with a plant, that's easy to care for. I was thinking maybe a moss or ground cover of some sort. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of one that would work in my tank. The specs are at the beginning of the post.

Oh, and on a side note. I'm super excited because the new plant I got last week has 2 new leaves coming in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	550.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	391082  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode