Well Water and PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well Water and PH

I have a question about my well water PH that I hope someone can help me out with. Straight out of the tap my PH is usually around 6 to 6.3 so I have been using Seachem Neutral Regulator to bring it to 7 which has been working fine for me, have enough plants so no algae issues using this product. But lately I've doing more reading about people aging their water and what happens to the PH - does it stay the same or rise or fall. So I took a one gallon sample of water and aged it for a few days. PH going in was 6.2 and after a couple days it was 8.0. So that led to more reading and if the article I was reading was correct - this is caused by lack of buffers, so I check by KH and GH and both were only 1. So that led me to thinking more - is my water safe? should I add Seachem Equilibrium to increase the hardness? Does anyone have any suggestions or advice that they could share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
One thing I've learned in the years I've kept fish. Don't bother messing with ph too much. I went through all that back in the 80's and after talking with others and my aunt and uncle (owned a fish farm for 30 years) best advice, unless it was extremely out was not to screw with it. I too am on well water and I don't age the water at all. Alas I am also not treating the water in any manner. With water changes the old is taken out new is put back right from the well. (the well head is in the fish house) And I change a lot of water with 30 tanks running.

When I was in NY and they only added chlorine I would let the water age 24 hours to disperse the chlorine.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It may seem silly but I'll ask anyway to try to avoid some confusion. Do you know if you have any treatment on your well water? Any chance you have a softener or other? In doing water work in homes for folks I found it not unusual to find they did not know they had a softener.
Anything like that will change the answer to your problem a whole bunch.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well Water

No water softener. Pretty straight out of the ground and all PVC piping.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile CO2 in the Water

Hi,

Sounds like your well water may have a lot of CO2 in it, really fairly common.

In my ever-humble opinion, unless you have flora or fauna that really require it, I agree with GraphicGr8s and would not worry about the pH.

Your plants are probably getting a little extra CO2 at each water change.

I recommend easing off the pH buffer, changes in pH that are a result of CO2 do not affect the fish, other changes greater than 0.25 per day can be harmful. A couple of water changes will probably take care of the situation.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Last edited by JoeRoun; 11-07-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: GraphicGr8s is very critical of my grammer, so i fixed it, i hope
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The well water is safe for the fish, but if you have a planted tank, you may run into BBA problems from the periodic surge in CO2 content in the water. (With every water change.) If you use Seachem Excel you stand a better chance of avoiding the BBA problem.

Hoppy

Tags
water change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode