Will painting the sides of my aquarium help betta from seeing his reflection? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Will painting the sides of my aquarium help betta from seeing his reflection?

Hey guys,

I recently set up a 15g with a single betta.
Plants are jumping back after melting, and everything is coming along nicely.

What I've been noticing is that he has been swimming back and forth taunting the sides of the tank. He doesn't flare, but i know he can see himself. I have some left over Black Acrylic paint that i used to paint the background and was wondering if i should paint the sides too.

Will it look funky? Should I wait and see if it goes away? He is new to the tank, I got him last Sunday night. Will painting the sides even help?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:05 AM
JxL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Not sure if painting the sides would help, but it couldnt hurt. I would give the fish a week more or so to acclimate into the tank. Fish can be skittish when put in new environments.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A easy way to find out would be to rap the sides of the glass with paper or card board first to see if it makes a difference.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Painting the outside of the glass won't help, fish can still see their reflection in the glass.

I would wait, he's still getting used to the new tank.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The fish should not be able to see himself in the sides of the tank unless you put a mirror against the tank wall.

When a fish looks at the glass head-on it is clear and they see out into the surrounding room.

The only time you can see a reflection in glass-water boundaries is when you are viewing them at a very steep angle. Such as when you look through the front of the tank at the sides, they look like a mirror. Looking through the sides, the front and back do the same. The far side is crystal clear.

If you're looking at a steep enough angle to see a reflection, you can't see your own reflection. The view is of things past you, not back in your direction. This is why you see the back wall of your tank reflected in the sides, not your own face.

Painting the sides, or applying a plastic film won't change the reflections, because they are occurring on the inside of the tank. It is the difference in refractive index between glass and water causing the reflection. A paint or film will prevent the fish from seeing outside the tank, but won't stop the high-angle mirror effect.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
The fish should not be able to see himself in the sides of the tank unless you put a mirror against the tank wall.

When a fish looks at the glass head-on it is clear and they see out into the surrounding room.

The only time you can see a reflection in glass-water boundaries is when you are viewing them at a very steep angle. Such as when you look through the front of the tank at the sides, they look like a mirror. Looking through the sides, the front and back do the same. The far side is crystal clear.

If you're looking at a steep enough angle to see a reflection, you can't see your own reflection. The view is of things past you, not back in your direction. This is why you see the back wall of your tank reflected in the sides, not your own face.

Painting the sides, or applying a plastic film won't change the reflections, because they are occurring on the inside of the tank. It is the difference in refractive index between glass and water causing the reflection. A paint or film will prevent the fish from seeing outside the tank, but won't stop the high-angle mirror effect.
dreaded flashbacks of college physics class lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it might actually make it worse.

You are less likely to see a reflection in the glass when you can see through it - if more light is coming from outside then in (think looking inside a dark house when it's bright outside - if the lights are off, you won't see anything, just your reflection. If the lights are on, it's easier to see in).

Once you paint it, there will be no way for it to see through the glass, and while it may not always see a reflection, it will probably see one more often then if the glass was bare.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 PM
PK1
Algae Grower

It will make it worse. Given the very polished surface of glass, no matter what type of paint you use it will conform to the flat surface of glass and hence will look shiny from the other side. This will effectively enhance the mirror effect.

Try it on a small piece of glass or a small area of your fish tank and you'll see. You can easily scrape it off using a flat blade.

Tags
betta, flaring, male, paint, reflection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode