PTrader: (0/0%)
co2. odor ?

Does co2 have an odor ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
The CO2 gas itself is odorless to humans except at very high concentrations - where it is described to have a sharp acidic smell. Humans breathe it out as a waste product from respiration.... I don't know, but it is possible that there is a scent added to it when bottled and compressed - like they add for safety purposes to the bottled LP gas.

Joan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Tank Journal:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
imo most likely caused by contamination in the container during fill process or time used, a little scum layer of water or biofilm inside somehow is my guess.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I open the valve or lines for testing, I'm often in the garage where the air is somewhat restricted. All I get from breathing or smelling is a bit of what I would call stale smell. No odors added as it is such a safe gas unlike something flammable. Co2 is safe enough not to require detectors and safety things like that.

I'm guessing here but can we assume that you folks are not opening the valve and blowing debris out as recommended?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no I havent! thats a good call on the source of biocontaminants, gnats, palm scums etc lol.

Bump: the fancy amano co2 have pretty smells injected i read

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you really want to know what CO2 smells like.. pour a bottle of unflavored seltzer into a glass then stick your nose in and sniff gently..

Be careful of sniffing too deeply, as the CO2 is irritant and will trigger a pretty robust coughing fit. You've probably experienced this with a freshly poured glass of soda...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And then it really is worthwhile to shoot off a bit of CO2 before you screw your reg to the tank. They haul filled tanks on trucks and there can be all kinds of things get in the fitting on the tank. If you don't make a habit of clearing this, you may someday be trying to figure out how to get the debris out of your reg?
While shooting a bit out in the air, take a sniff.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 blowing out the valve stem is most definitely worthwhile, particularly if you're doing exchange bottles.

As for smelling it when venting.. that's a bit trickier.. remember, CO2 is denser than air and will sink to the floor. That's why it pools in your glass when you pour a soda...

+1 on CO2 being relatively safe as well. As long as you don't do anything incredibly foolish, like put a cylinder in a fire or put your head in a trashbag full of pure co2, it is relatively low risk.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I suppose while we are speaking of sniffing and dangers, we should mention that it does come out cold and you should not stick the old sniffer down close enough to frost it!

Lots of people may have smelled the gas and never really known it if they go to concerts and ballgames where they blow off the "smoke" when the band hits the stage or the team comes out. Here in Austin, some of the music shows use CO2 for those. When a band goes broke or breaks up, the tanks sell second hand and I've got several from those folks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
More than likely not. Just as natural gas is actually orderless. Smell is added to it for detection purposes.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode