Need Help picking background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need Help picking background

Alright, so I'm a couple of weeks away from getting my 110g home office tank up (see tank journal here) and I want to pick my background before its immovable. That's where all of you come in!

To give you an idea of the theme/style of the room, here's a pic of the den half (my office is the other 1/2 of this room... lower level of a raised ranch):

It's really dark on the side of the room that the tank will inhabit, and the tank will be low to mid lighting.

The tank will be moderately planted (30% or so). The centerpiece/hard scape will be these pieces of driftwood from a lake in Maine:

The substrate will be pool filter media (tan) and fairly coarse.

The fish are still a big ?. I'm definitely going to do a school of tetras (20 or so). I also want to have some big, slow fish like gouramis or angels. In addition, I'd like some fast, active fish like some silver dollars or maybe some clown loaches.

So what color background should I do or what should I do for a background? I wish I had the time to do a foam rock background, but I don't, so don't make me feel worse than I already do by suggesting that, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

Be careful with the silver dollars. They are very voracious plant eaters. And were you thinking like the plastic stick on backs? Because in all honesty you could just spray the back in plastidip which can just be pealed off later.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Black for the background and forget the Silver Dollars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterstunt View Post
Be careful with the silver dollars. They are very voracious plant eaters. And were you thinking like the plastic stick on backs? Because in all honesty you could just spray the back in plastidip which can just be pealed off later.
I like this plastidip idea, otherwise black is a pretty standard background option for a reason....although I feel like yo might be able to get away with no background simply because of the green color of your wall (but its not what I'd recommend because then you see all the stuff behind the tank and any water stains or gunk or whatever).

And yah, if you want plants say no to silver dollars. Congo tetras would be a better large tetra.

If this were me, maybe do a nice sized tetra that you can do a 20 school of, and if you can find a nice group of rainbow fish I'd do 8 of those...maybe some congos or roselines as well (which are fast fish you might like, densonii barbs is their other name). If you decide to do gouramis I recommend pearl gourami personally, I just happen to like the look a lot. Moonlight would be interesting as well, I don't see them in tanks much, but its whatever floats your boat. Angels would work too, heck, you might be able to do all of these given the size of the tank. Depends on factors and what you want and all.

I'd also skip clown loaches tbh, they get big and punch holes in leafs. If you want loaches look into species that stay smaller, they are out there.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I've done black backgrounds for my 20g long and 55g but I have black diamond sand. Instead of some common methods used for backgrounds I did black cloth (don't know exact material name but its water resistant/proof..does not absorb) on backer board (a mold resistant drywall used for bathrooms.. had some scraps). I prefer being able to remove the background if needed with ease (to find missing fish, if I scratch the [censor] out of the front of the tank I can rotate it and make the back the front, or if I completely change my mind about the look of the tank) also no chemicals involved so no fear of fumes or 'waiting to cure/dry'.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Painted backs don't just have to be black. My 20g is set inbetween two large black bookshelves against a light green wall. I didn't want the visual weight of yet more black, but did want an opaque background to hide cords--so I painted the back with a green that's several steps darker than the wall color. There's a layer of black as well that shows thru as darker smears and while I like the affect, when it comes time do re-do this tank, I'll likely strip the current paintjob and go for a solid green that exactly matches the wall color.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I strongly favor a black background painted on.

Especially with some plants and such, and decent lighting, it makes the back of the tank almost invisible, it just fades into shadow behind the plants.

It's also great for masking equipment, most heaters/powercords and such are black, and won't show up very well against a black background.

I've done latex and spraypaint. I found the spray paint easier to apply if you can do it outdoors or in a garage, but latex is great if you need to live in the same area.

I haven't tried plastidip, but probably will the next time I set up a tank.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Frosted plastic window cover. Donīt know the english term for it. Easy to remove and looks much more classy then black plastic imho.

edit: picture

Last edited by Matsnork; 11-06-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: picture
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Has anyone tried regular latex wall paint? I have some of the forest green paint left over from when I painted the walls; maybe I could use that.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I like a good olll white background to make the plants and fish and hardscape really pop out =)
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Latex wall paint works fine--just make sure glass is perfectly clean and absolutely dry, make sure the first coat is very thin and let it dry completely between coats. Then just layer on the coats until it's opaque.

My 37g was painted with cheap bulk student grade acrylic paint--had a ton left over from a project and figured it'd let me see if I liked it or not cheap. Yeah, that was six years ago. I've moved the tank twice with complete breakdowns, switched out heaters and filters and HOB's splashing plenty of water down the back--it's still golden. Did a more elaborate treatment to the back of my 15 gallon creating an abstract backdrop of six different colors using five different brands of artists and craft quality acrylic paint--still looked perfect two years later when I broke the tank down. Came off with about fifteen minutes work using nothing more than a spray bottle, a razor blade and some paper towels.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Go for the wall color. Good looking room btw the tank will look great in there.

On a sidebar if you are considering a different type of fish for your school I think a big school(50-100) Long Finned Serpae Tetra would look awesome!

Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal

JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun

Profile Tank

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
Frosted plastic window cover. Donīt know the english term for it. Easy to remove and looks much more classy then black plastic imho.

edit: picture

we use the same term, frosted window cover or similar. I've thought about trying this.. but dread the leftover sticky-ness on the back of the tank when removed. I have 3 furry pets and fur manages to get everywhere including places they can't reach (like behind tanks) =.=

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Defiantly don't paint it dark blue. I have one tank that way and hate it. I have seen tanks with a muster yellow and like that also someone on this site had one a light purple that looked good. Most of my other tanks are black or have a plant photo on the back.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I definitely prefer to use something removable, so I can easily change it if my scape or mood changes. Once you paint it you're kind of stuck unless you want to tear down the whole tank.

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode