Sad day for the Finnex Jungle Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Sad day for the Finnex Jungle Tank

So I came home today to my small starter colony of black bar endlers all dead. About 5 fish. They were all seemingly healthy up until today. Yesterday, I added a heater to the tank. The temperature has been steady at 76, so I don't think it overheated. Plus my dozen or so red cherry shrimp are all alive and well. Could it have been the swing in temperature from the 60s to 70s?? Yesterday I also added a few stems of locally picked bacopa. I am so mad at myself if this was due to me adding that bacopa. I know it is nearly impossible to diagnose, especially without water conditions since I do not test my water. But any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. What could kill fish, but not shrimp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
So sorry about your fish. The temperature rise may have lowered the oxygen levels in the tank, but that alone shouldn't have killed the fish. If anything, they'd be gulping air at the surface of the water. I'd be cautious about putting locally found plants in a tank without treating/testing them first. There may have been something in the local water that contributed to this.

By the way, until you know for sure you should probably close down your Bacopa RAOK thread.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately I had to learn a lesson the hard way. At the expense of some poor endlers. And I will definitely close the RAOK. Now onto making sure the water is healthy before adding any more livestock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

First things that come to mind is the temperature change or possible pesticide exposure, but why are the shrimp alive???? You got me on that one. Did you see the fish trying to eat the new plant?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Did you see the fish trying to eat the new plant?
Not that I noticed. But I have already taken those two bacopa stems out of the tank and threw them in the trash. I will do a water change. I don't test my water, but if I put some in a water bottle, would it remain the same until tomorrow afternoon if I bring it to my LFS??

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
Not that I noticed. But I have already taken those two bacopa stems out of the tank and threw them in the trash. I will do a water change. I don't test my water, but if I put some in a water bottle, would it remain the same until tomorrow afternoon if I bring it to my LFS??
For the most part, your PH may change a little. What kind of heater did you add? Some cheap heater's will turn on and stay on until the set temperature is reached.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

An aqueon submersible heater, yes a cheapie, but i have a thermometer in the tank so that I can monitor the temperature and it has been steady at 76.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
he is talking more about if the temp has rose to fast. ideally it is best to only change the temp 1-2 and hour.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay, yea maybe the temp did rise too fast then...about 10 degrees in a few hours.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
An aqueon submersible heater, yes a cheapie, but i have a thermometer in the tank so that I can monitor the temperature and it has been steady at 76.
I wouldn't trust a cheap heater, and not in a smaller tank. For the lives of the inhabitants, I would suggest getting a heater that has some good reviews about steady temps. I shopped around for a few days trying to find the right heater for my little tank. I ended up going with a Cobalt Submersible 25w. If I had to money, I would have gone with their flat, black version. Plunked it in there a day ago and the temp line hasn't budged at all...nice steady heater!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The aqueon may have been cheap, but the reviews I have read seemed good and other members on here use the larger models with no issues. I really do not think the raise in temperature caused the deaths. I believe it was something to do with placing the bacopa stems in the tank and them having some sort of chemicals on them.

How can I be sure that there are no traces of chemicals or pesticides in my tank before adding any additional livestock?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Impossible to say for certain, but I suspect it was the heater that did the endlers in rather than any toxin on the introduced plants--if only because the shrimp are still alive.

While endlers can survive a staggeringly large temperature range, they don't tend to do well with rapid shifts. I wiped out an entire 10g tank of endler hybrids I was developing a few years ago--very similar scenario.

I assumed at first that there must have been something that contaminated the heater--perhaps the store had been sprayed with insecticide or such--but only the fish were affected; the snails and shrimp were fine. Not a single die off, but every endler was a floater. Nor did the heater show any sign of electrical malfunction later when I tested it. What it did show was the ability to raise the temperature of a 5g tank incredibly fast.

I'd added the heater the night before to let it sit the required period in the water before turning it on and the tank had been running between 68-72. First thing in the morning, when the tank was regrettably at its lowest temp, I set it to 78, plugged it in and left without doing more than ensure it was working and not electrically shocking the tank. Best I can figure, the water probably rose 10+ degrees in under 2 hours.

Now when I add a heater--to any tank--I make sure it's first turned on while I have time to babysit it. I'll check the tanks current temperature, set the heater just a degree or two above that and then once every few hours I'll bump the heater up a degree or two.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Ive used aqueon heaters since I firstvstarted keeping tanks years ago and all of em are still running strong lol weirdly enoughbsome of the more expensive ines that I have bought have died since then....

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Impossible to say for certain, but I suspect it was the heater that did the endlers in rather than any toxin on the introduced plants--if only because the shrimp are still alive.

While endlers can survive a staggeringly large temperature range, they don't tend to do well with rapid shifts. I wiped out an entire 10g tank of endler hybrids I was developing a few years ago--very similar scenario.

I assumed at first that there must have been something that contaminated the heater--perhaps the store had been sprayed with insecticide or such--but only the fish were affected; the snails and shrimp were fine. Not a single die off, but every endler was a floater. Nor did the heater show any sign of electrical malfunction later when I tested it. What it did show was the ability to raise the temperature of a 5g tank incredibly fast.

I'd added the heater the night before to let it sit the required period in the water before turning it on and the tank had been running between 68-72. First thing in the morning, when the tank was regrettably at its lowest temp, I set it to 78, plugged it in and left without doing more than ensure it was working and not electrically shocking the tank. Best I can figure, the water probably rose 10+ degrees in under 2 hours.

Now when I add a heater--to any tank--I make sure it's first turned on while I have time to babysit it. I'll check the tanks current temperature, set the heater just a degree or two above that and then once every few hours I'll bump the heater up a degree or two.
Literally the exact same scenario....I followed the heater instructions. Shrimp and snails are perfectly fine. Tank went from mid 60s to mid 70s in a couple of hours.

SO MAD!!!, the only reason I got the heater was because the sudden recent cold (50s) nights in FL gave me some concern about the tank temp. Just to be safe, I removed the bacopa stems and did a water change. I will also get my water tested at the LFS before adding anything else.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
How can I be sure that there are no traces of chemicals or pesticides in my tank before adding any additional livestock?

I would do number two!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode