Debris everywhere!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Debris everywhere!!!!

I am use to being able to use a gravel vacuum in a nonplanted tank which gets up alot of gunk. However, in a planted tank it is a wee bit difficult to get all the gunk up. How do you guys clean your tanks? Lately I have been using a turkey baster to stir up the water and get the surface layer of the gunk into the water column.

Just started working with planted tanks
8g tank starring Merlin the betta (planted)
15g tall tank containing tetras and corys (planted)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kind of debris are you talking about? I've found that a lot of debris (in my case) comes from over feeding. Other than that, I just siphon some of the gunk out of the water column (for me it's biofilm) and I let my amanos do the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
For the most part I depend on good water flow to push detrius to my filters and my cleaning crew to mop up, but there's always a few spots that trap excess fish and snail poop.

For those I use a bit of airline hose as a siphon to get in and around the tight spots--size of the line and how much drop there is along the line moderates the amount of suction. Takes a bit of practice, but eventually you get a feel for how close you can/need to be.

In really tight quarters, or around very delicate plants, I'll use a pippette to "puff" water thru the area to push the debris out, either catching it with siphon held nearby or letting it get swept up into the water column and (hopefully) captured by the filters before it settles again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Debris in general is good in a planted tank, its good food for the plants.

Too much can obviously be an issue, so if there is some cause (dead plants, too much food, etc.) than the source needs to be resolved, otherwise a healthy cleaning crew, like shrimp, will help also.

DIY Enthusiast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Have you tried bottom feeders? I have a Yoyo Loach that is going gangbusters on the substrate round the clock except for the few hours he spends looking like he's dead. Nerite snails also will also descend to the bottom and ply the substrate. Plus Otto Cats and even the Rainbow sharks spend time picking over the bottom of the tank. Other than some fish waste, the bottom of my tank stays spotless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
Debris in general is good in a planted tank, its good food for the plants.

Too much can obviously be an issue, so if there is some cause (dead plants, too much food, etc.) than the source needs to be resolved, otherwise a healthy cleaning crew, like shrimp, will help also.
I know I dont overfeed the betta since I watch him eat almost all his food and very little falls down to feed the shrimp. He probably misses one pellet and two dried bloodworms a day for the 5 days he is fed.

I did have an issue with one of my lotus bulbs's leaves dying off and a good bit of melt of the new plants I had put in. I guess I will just have to be more through with my water changes and let the roomba crew do its job.

Yeah, in my other tank where I have a crew of corys there is very little debris.

Just started working with planted tanks
8g tank starring Merlin the betta (planted)
15g tall tank containing tetras and corys (planted)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, you don't want a lot of rotting fish food in the tank, but debris in the bottom is generally just food for the plants.

We don't vacuum any of our heavily planted tanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To add to the statistics, I don't remove debris that head down the bottom of the tanks. I only remove floating leave. Plants need food. Diana Walstad purposely add fish food the her tanks to provide nutrients to the plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode