Problems with Purigen? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Problems with Purigen?

I have been reading a lot of great things about Purigen recently and how it is good for water quality.

I recently added purigen to my filter...

I've been reading around a bit more and know at some point I will have to "recharge" it...

I found someone who posted on another forum with this experience:

"I used the Purigen bag for a few months in my Nuvo 16 fuge chamber (along with filter floss, carbon sponges, phosphate sponges, and a skimmer). I had consistently performed 20-25% water changes throughout that time period. With Purigen, my nitrates were extremely low -0. I do think Purigen helped reduce the nitrates; before using I could keep nitrates around 5-10. As nitrates began to rise, I checked the purigen bag; bag had turned brown so I figured it was time to "regenerate" it. Word of caution here: I almost fouled my tank on two different occasions after I thought I had regenerated this stuff. I followed the regeneration instructions and once complete, put the bag back in tank and my corals reacted almost instantly. I thought they were all goners. I pulled the bag and re-soaked it in a dechlorinator again. Instructions state not to use a dechlorinator that is amine based or contains EDTA. I had used IO Marine Conditioner. I contacted IO and was informed that their Marine Conditioner is not amine based nor contains EDTA. I thought I was safe. I rinsed, soaked, rinsed, soaked, the bag extensively. Could not detect any hit of bleach, tested for chlorine, and ammonia; nothing. At that point, I thought it was safe to put the bag back in the tank; WRONG! Same exact thing happened. Bag was in the tank for a few seconds and again corals reacted immediately. I should have known better after what had happened the first time; guess I was too stubborn to throw the bag away knowing it is possible to regenerate the stuff and reuse it. Obviously, the bag was releasing chloramines into the tank. I cannot determine what exactly happened. Only thing I can think of at this point is that I should not have used the same plastic container throughout the regeneration process...?"

Now, I don't want to add something to my aquarium that could harm my fish... I have always had great water quality, fully tested, good filtration, crystal clear water...

I added the purigen to help, and I am sure it is... but I don't want to risk it if it could have harmful affects....

Has anyone else had an experience like this? If not, what do you think about the above posters experience? I can't brush this to the side and it's making me second guess long term if I want to continue to use Purigen... I never needed it before?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Jordin,

I have used Purigen for several years in my 4 tanks and recharged it on numerous occasions without any ill effects to fish or plants. That said I use the recommended dechlor Seachem Prime to neutralize the bleach residue after several rinses in clean water. I make sure the Prime water has penetrated all areas of the bag by squeezing the bag in the Prime solution and then I let it soak for 24 hours followed by a few more squeezes and then a sniff test.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've used and regenerated Purigen many times with no harmful effects. I use a pyrex (glass) container to soak / regenerate it and Seachem Prime to dechlorinate after the bleach / water soak.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How do you test the purigen to ensure there is no more bleach in it when you recharge it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Take a Whiff

Hi,

Smell the it; if it smells like chlorine, you have chlorine.

If you use Seachem prime, lemon juice, sodium thiosulfate, hydrogen peroxide or any of a hundred other de-chlorinators, or just leave it sit in distilled water for 24-hours you do not have a problem with chlorine.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

The problems I see the the quote in the op's post is that first, this was a reef system, and corals are going to be a lot more sensitive to any changes in water quality. Second, the person is using a lot of other media in the system, and one of those could have been an issue. Third, it's a bit hard to tell if the person actually recharged the purigen correctly. I've recharged mine with no major issues.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Generally, these 2 problems are encountered most often when re-charging Purigen:

- Lack of sufficient and thorough rinsing after the bleach bath. The Purigen bag needs to be rinsed several times in lots of Prime conditioned fresh water, when the bag should be kneaded very well to remove any traces of bleach residue before re-use.
- Using any conditioner which is amine based (many of those also have stress coat protective agents -amine-based - in addition to chlorine removal capacity).
The amine agents will bind with the Purigen bead resins and create residual chloramines which remain and of course are quite toxic to fish.
Pay attention to those 2 things, and you shouldn't have any problem with re-charged Purigen.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Stolen Knowledge

Hi,

I will make the assumption that the Jordin knows how to read and follow directions, so for the purposes of this post I will assume that the Purigen is

• properly recharged, looks good, cannot smell any chlorine.
  • I am also assuming
    • Jordin soaked the bag in an acid buffer,
    • Seachem makes acid buffer, the Discus buffer also works.

The other problem with Purigen, especially if using more than the recommended amounts is pH change to which the corals may be very sensitive.

An additional step I use, I stole from someone, canít remember who.

• In a bucket of tepid water
  • with an air stone,
  • noting the pH,
  • put the recharged, de-chlorinated bag
    • and a bit of de-chlorinator in the bucket
  • let it soak for an hour or so and
  • test the pH
If I see a big change, dump the water and try again.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Perhaps From Whence the Stolen Knowledge Came

Hi,

I am not sure if this is where I stole my Purigen thing in the post before, but it certainly better done.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode