Dwarf four leaf clover, maybe minuta of some kind, yellow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf four leaf clover, maybe minuta of some kind, yellow

I like getting plants from one particular place and ordered a plant sold as dwarf four leaf clover. Figured it was marsilea minuta or something. I've never had either before, but needed another foreground plant for one of my tanks and like the look of clover-y carpets. I just received the package and all plants are in great condition except for this plant. Many of the leaves are yellow and a couple have brown on them. The stems and roots at the bottom look green and healthy though.

So my question is what is this plant for sure, and what can I do to save it? I'm putting it in a fishless tank as soon as I know how to care for it. Just converted the tank to dirt capped with sand, so no fish right now, lots of co2, and have dosed liquid ferts as well, moderate-high lighting too.

So do I have to cut all the leaves off? Will they turn green again soon? They were shipped without water, so that was probably the problem. I have them in some water now. I'm sorry the pics aren't great. I've only got my phone to take them with. I've taken a picture of each side of the bunch. One side is worse than the other with browning going on. I just removed the leaves with brown on them, but I'm not sure if I should leave them stems or throw those out as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I recently purchased the same thing, "Dwarf Four Leaf Clover", from eBay as part of a 10 plant package. It was grown emerged which is why it has the 4 leaf nodes and is so tall. Once you plant it, the leaves and stems start to die back. This is normal. You should start to see relatively quickly tiny new growth sprouting up from the substrate. Look at my journal below. I am still only in week two, and mine arrived green and within a day or two started to look like yours. I cut everything down to the ground and have been seeing new growth since day 3. I am hoping the new growth remains much more compact than what was received.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good! Thanks! I guess I'll just plant them and then trim them down to about 1/2 inch above the substrate? I don't really want to mess up my water parameters by letting it just die and melt all over the place. I've got enough water problems with this dirt conversion going on lol. The tank is pretty much a paradise for plants right now since I don't have to worry about too much co2 or ferts with no fish in the tank, so I'm hoping the regrowth will be SUPER quick! Anyway, any idea about how low I should cut them? Would what I suggested above be ok?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would think that'd be fine. My tank is small and difficult to maneuver scissors around in so I just snipped down as low as I could reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome! Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode