Should I add 48 in T5? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Should I add 48 in T5?

Hi all,

I currently have a medium-ish tech planted tank with Co2. I am running the Co2 at approximately 3 bps, and I have a Finnex Ray 2 for lighting. I also add a capful of Excel once per day, and osmocote root ferts once every couple of months about an inch into the substrate. I have a spare 48 inch T5. Should I put the T5 on the tank? Or is what I currently have enough? My concern is that some of the plants are slightly shading some of the lower plants closer to the substrate and I want all of my plants to get an adequate amount of light. However, I do not want to much light because I am worried about algae blooms. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
It sounds like your issue is with spread vs light intensity.

Adding a single T5 bulb will not make huge gains in PAR but it could be beneficial if you position it in a way so that it hits the plants being shaded. As long as your tank can handle the tank then go for it. I would turn it on for like part of the day to start and observe if you have any algae issues.

IMO if the plants are not showing signs of being deficient I would not screw with it. Also - if you are not dosing ferts in the water column you should get on that. They will help out with growth and eliminate nutrient deficiencies (if done right)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
It sounds like your issue is with spread vs light intensity.

Adding a single T5 bulb will not make huge gains in PAR but it could be beneficial if you position it in a way so that it hits the plants being shaded. As long as your tank can handle the tank then go for it. I would turn it on for like part of the day to start and observe if you have any algae issues.

IMO if the plants are not showing signs of being deficient I would not screw with it. Also - if you are not dosing ferts in the water column you should get on that. They will help out with growth and eliminate nutrient deficiencies (if done right)
I'm adding flourish complete and flourish iron (capful about once per week). Also, I just got many of the plants so I have not monitored whether or not the light is enough for them. Should I wait to see how they do and then add the T5 if needed?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

Bump ^^ any more input? Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode