Moving Tank: Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving Tank: Question

Hey you guys,

Something has come up and I have to move my tank to the other boat (my old house boat).

Now this is kind of the perfect time for me to work on my landscape.

My question is, I have to already take 90% of the water out to move the tank. If I use my ten (bare bottom) with the same water from this tank, plus putting this filters media in that filter, Do you think the fish will be okay for a week in the ten gallon?

Or is it better to move fish, move tank, replace fish, and let them relax. (move everyone back the next week) and save the aquascape for later?

I do not want to stress the kids out so I am not sure what would be less stress on them. I have 5 corys, 6 guppies, and 4 platys. (bunch of snails, They can die. XD)

oh, the ten gal is not set up yet. It is my spare for issues just like this. I was going to just auto-cycle it with water from this tank to minimalize issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hmm, that depends on how big your fish are (ie: what kind of cories), and how beefy your filter is...

Assuming all full-grown, and the cories being albino/bronze/green (ie: corydoras aenus) and a hefty (for a 10 gallon) filter of an aquaclear 50:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 126%.
Recommended water change schedule: 73% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 48% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 182%.

If your fish are more juvenile or young-adult sized, then this may not be so bad..

ie: 2" cories, 1.5" platy's and 1.25" guppies results in:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 189%.Help on Filtration capacity
Recommended water change schedule: 49% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 28% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 137%.

Either way they're going to be rather cramped, and need a couple water changes while they're in there.

I might consider setting up a second holding-tank in a 5 gallon bucket or rubbermaid bin just to make things a bit more manageable.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Holy moly, recommend any aquarium books? I would really like to learn about these percentages, water specs, etc and have them on hand because you just blew my mind with how in the world you knew all that at the drop of a fly.

(mind you, Ask me a question on ferrets and I will blow your mind with how much random/medical/care related stuff I know)

Okay, lets get this straight. It would be better to just take the fish out, move tank, and than put them back in for the week the tank has to be moved?

I know the ten gallon idea was a little far fetched but I was just hoping to basically kill two birds with one stone. The aquascape can wait however until this move back-forth thing is finished.

The ten gallon idea and its water changes sound like it would overly stress the fish out since that's a-lot of fresh water in a barely cycled tank. I also don't have enough start-zyme to keep using it on the ten gallon each water change.

My fish: I believe the fish are mostly full grown. The guppies/platys are. I have three bronze, one green, and one speckled (little guy) of the corys. (yeah, I didn't realize there was different types of corys. I just thought they were colors until I noticed how big my green was compared to the others)

Thanks for the information. Your my new fish guru!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The filter is not the only home of nitrifying bacteria, and the plants have been helping out.
I do not think it is safe to put the fish and just the filter in a holding tank.
I would add some bacteria (Nitrospira), or let all the plants float in the tank, or something else to help out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

okay, turns out. It would be better to put them in the ten gallon for atleast a day or two. We need to prepare to move the boat...yet dont know if we have to move it or not.

Basicaly, The tax people are freaking out saying the boats worth a lot of money. So we are moving it to a freinds dock to be "looked over" by a agent. Than moving it back the next day we can (longest span of a week, shortest a day or two)

But we have pictures and we dont know if the people will accept that or if they want to inspect it themselves. Thats happening thursday and I have class all day wensday-thursday. My only day is tuesday to move stuff around so I need to prepare if we need too since I wont be able to prepare anything when we actualy find out.

(troublesome, I know.)

If the boat moves, We will put them in the fish tank and properly set it up for the week on the other boat (ten gallon till thursday). But if we dont need to move it, We can just stick them back into the main tank.

I really wish this doesnt happen. >.< I hate stressing the kids out.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ready for a different spin on the question?
I see it somewhat differently for a temporary move. The computer calculator is like all computer generated answers. It can be right or way off!
You've got two problems with the move. One is the loss of bacteria. If you move the filter or media over, you will have some but not all. When we ship fish for several days, we do it with NONE.
So my plan would be to stop feeding a few days before the move, move tank water but not to do anything for the bacteria but just to keep water parameters the same, and move as much media or the filter over for the bacteria.
I don't feel your fish will be hurt in a ten for a few days/week. They are often more crowded in shops. But while they are in the ten, it will be good to be watchful and prepped.
With a 20-25% water change every couple days and no feeding so that there is little waste, the pollution will not build up much. Fish will not starve in a week or so.
Make sure to maintain water temp and movement as well as watch for odd behavior and keep the fresh water ready at near the right temp.
The idea of a filter is to keep the water fresh but keeping the water fresh is the same no matter which way we do it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is a new spin on things. Thanks. I never knew I would stress over these guys so much. They aren't even my most expensive pet.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

when looking at the overall cost of moving it can get down to what is best for you personally. The price of the fish is really easy to discount if the move and their protection get too far out of line. Taking them down to the nearest shop and giving them away can be a real bargain at times.
Otherwise you can spend $20 worth of effort to keep/save $10 worth of fish!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
See, I don't know all that much.. :-)

PlantedRich has a very good point with the fasting.. I hadn't thought of it but it makes perfect sense.

I also agree that the calculators aren't a good source of "absolute truth"... I tend to use them more for a.. "is this reasonable, or do I need to approach with caution?". aqadvisor is certainly rather conservative in the filtration and stocking levels, but that's probably for the better. That said, it only tends to warn about compatibility issues when they are almost certainly going to result in livestock eating each other (ie: neo-shrimp and adult angelfish, or loaches with snails...). More subtle "works sometimes but not always" issues tend not to get warned about.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The move is only for a few days. ^.^ And I'm getting ready to set up the ten at this moment at my parents house. Will let you guys know how things work out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like it should work out. Compared to being in a bag and in a box, they are in good shape when in a ten gallon with water and air moving and somebody watching over them.
Nobody going to throw the tank like they might a shipping box??? Piece of cake from the fish view point.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hahaha My fish decided to surprise me with one of them having their fry in the 20g-L at some point this week. I knew a few females were pregnant but they still look "pregnant" so I was hoping they would hold off during the move.

Well...I counted 6-7 little fry in the 20 gallon. I have enough plants in the tank to be able to deal with their bio-load while my filters on the ten gallon. i am just all, awing over these baby's because they are so darn cute.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well.....We have to move the boat. >.<

So I am going to get the 20 gallon set back up on the boat friday. I am sure the fish are tired of the ten gallon. The boat actualy may be gone for a week-two because of work schedules.

Bump: Can you guys comment on the tank journal? I dont want to post more threads than I need
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you can change 90% of the water a day 9 gallons you wouldn't even have to worry about a filter. But that's probably not possible so I would use my old filter and your old water and just change out 20% of the water a day and you shouldn't have no problems. I have done this before but there's more to worry about is over crowding the fish and what stress that will put on them.

You didn't say what size your tank your moving was.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode