My First Planted Tank with pics :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My First Planted Tank with pics :)

So I sought out some advice early this week from you fine folks, and I put in the work this weekend and started/finished my initial setup of my tank. My first reaction is that it's not as awesome as I would of liked, but it's nothing to sneeze at either and for my first ever attempt, I can't be too upset!
I think I have a lot more to do down the road, but first I want to make sure the water parameters are ok, and the plants grow before I do more.
My water is fine on nitrites/nitrates, chlorine, but high in PH, KG and GH/hardness. So I added driftwood and hope it can help aid in my effort to lower that... can't wait to add fish!

So here's my pics, let me know if you have any recommendations or thoughts of how to improve or what else I should do! Thank you!

sorry but I can't figure how to rotate these pics from here!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...=IMG_1185c.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good start. I think you need more plants. After all it's a planted tank .
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
What type of rock is that? And where did you get those flat pieces? They look sliced!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guck View Post
Good start. I think you need more plants. After all it's a planted tank .
Haha, yeah I'd say so, and that's the plan! I started really light because I am concerned/nervous that I may fail so once I see the plants thriving I will go and buy more, or even try to trim and replant...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
What type of rock is that? And where did you get those flat pieces? They look sliced!
That's because it IS sliced I got it from a rock yard, like a place for contractors to buy supplies from. It's a brilliant place to go if you can find one in your area. They laugh at me when they see how many rocks I am looking for, and I filled my whole rear bed of my jeep with rocks, and they shrugged and said $10 for it all! I thought I was pretty smart doing this since they ask for about .20 to 40 cents a pound (even though they just eyeballed and laughed and quoted me) and the LFS charges $5-8 a pound... quite a rip when you compare!

Oh and I thought the sliced would be good since it'd be less weight on the tank.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Take all your pictures in landscape orientation, they upload that way anyway (as you can see). Tank looks great btw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

Just my 2 cents. A lot of people fail at planted tanks because they plant lightly at first. Your much better of startling by shoving as many plants as possible to start a tank.

Using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
Take all your pictures in landscape orientation, they upload that way anyway (as you can see). Tank looks great btw
Ohhh, that explains it ha Thank you for the tip!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.harper.9 View Post
Just my 2 cents. A lot of people fail at planted tanks because they plant lightly at first. Your much better of startling by shoving as many plants as possible to start a tank.
Really? Is this a commonly advised thing?
I was cautious because I didn't want to start a tank and see it fail due to me doing something wrong and then losing all the plants/$$$, so I thought by only planting a few I could make sure they would work out prior to investing more... that and maybe even replanting some of the trimmings!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb7880 View Post
Ohhh, that explains it ha Thank you for the tip!

Bump:

Really? Is this a commonly advised thing?
I was cautious because I didn't want to start a tank and see it fail due to me doing something wrong and then losing all the plants/$$$, so I thought by only planting a few I could make sure they would work out prior to investing more... that and maybe even replanting some of the trimmings!
It's a tough situation. Really you have to get off to a good start with a lot of plants. If you start out with too few plants (like your tank) then you are most likely going to have algae issues. Where is all that light going to go? Algae will consume it. A lot of plants will absorb your light energy and get you off to a good start. With ample ferts and such you should be in fine shape.

IMO it is always best to start off with a lot of plants. Just try to buy a bunch of cheap fast growers from someone on the forum while you dial things in.

Also you need to separate your stem plants. Do not ever keep them in bunches like that - they will not be happy. Plant them about 1-2" apart one by one. In general - spacing things out and taking up more empty space is much better than dense parts with empty space between them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
It's a tough situation. Really you have to get off to a good start with a lot of plants. If you start out with too few plants (like your tank) then you are most likely going to have algae issues. Where is all that light going to go? Algae will consume it. A lot of plants will absorb your light energy and get you off to a good start. With ample ferts and such you should be in fine shape.

IMO it is always best to start off with a lot of plants. Just try to buy a bunch of cheap fast growers from someone on the forum while you dial things in.

Also you need to separate your stem plants. Do not ever keep them in bunches like that - they will not be happy. Plant them about 1-2" apart one by one. In general - spacing things out and taking up more empty space is much better than dense parts with empty space between them.
Klibs, I am going to have to send you a letter of gratitude as well as some advisory fees, thank you!
So I guess when I get home tonight I will pull apart the stem plants and replant the individual stems, I was worried it would be harder to keep those rooted. But again I am new to this and hopefully I can get this to work! I guess I will go out and buy more plants as well. This is getting to be an expensive hobby.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

what is the black substrate your using ? Im not sure what type of rocks those are but be weary of using limestone as it can cause PH to go really high and some plants don't like a real high PH same with fish
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
what is the black substrate your using ? Im not sure what type of rocks those are but be weary of using limestone as it can cause PH to go really high and some plants don't like a real high PH same with fish
Black substrate is eco complete. I'm not sure what rocks those are, but I got them from a stone center for landcapers. I don't think it's limestone though. I have some feather stone in there under the eco complete as well.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, get more plants...plants dying doesn't mean failure. I've had plants I can't keep to save my life and others that grow like weeds. If some of these die, you may still find success with other species. Try some easy to grow, undemanding plants like Crypts and Anubias.

You're off to a good start with that scape, it looks nice! Cories would love that sand in front once this thing is cycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I did have a bluegill once that ate cooked pasta and bologna rinds as a treat.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode