Multiple issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Multiple issues

I have a 46g bow front. Heavily planted. Finnex rayII, and finnex planted+. They run 2pm to 10pm. Co2 injection comes on at noon. According to drop checker, 30ppm. I dose kh2po4 and k2so4 on mwf, and plantex on tts, Sunday wc and gh booster.

My first issue is blue-green algae. It's most noticeable on the substrate but there is some on the plants as well. I read this is an issue with Co2 but I'm unable to locate the actual problem. My co2 comes on two hours before my lights and according to the drop checker is stable at optimal levels until lights out. So what gives?

My next issue is with green dust algae. It takes a few days to accumulate on the tank walls but never really seems to completely go away. I've read this can be caused by low nutrient levels. I don't dose potassium nitrate because typically my nitrates run high. I have three angelfish and Tetras in the tank which I feed regularly. And I don't want nitrates to become an issue for them. My last nitrate test however revealed quite low nitrates. I guess it was less then 10 ppm after one full week. Could this be the cause of the green dust algae? What is considered low nitrate?

My last issue is with black beard Algae. It accumulates on the powerhead and some of the plants. It's not nearly as prevalent as the blue-green algae but I still consider it a problem. Another CO2 issue I'm guessing. Hopefully once I resolve that both the blue-green algae and Blackbeard algae will go away.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thats a lot of light and a long photo period. Try scaling back your photo period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank journal. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=693017

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
Thats a lot of light and a long photo period. Try scaling back your photo period.
To?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I run my lights for six hours.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Have a read through this thread, it should answer your question why you have algae, and what to do about it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...gae+deficiency

Zapins
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the same tank, seems like a lot of light, I run just a ray II
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Have a read through this thread, it should answer your question why you have algae, and what to do about it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...gae+deficiency

Very interesting and informative. I'm not entirely sold on allelopathy... Im a skeptic by nature, but interesting at the least. I'm convinced that I need to add kno3. What would you recommend for dosing?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~rush~ View Post
Very interesting and informative. I'm not entirely sold on allelopathy... Im a skeptic by nature, but interesting at the least. I'm convinced that I need to add kno3. What would you recommend for dosing?
EI works

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you doing 50% WC weekly?

Heavy fish load? What's your nitrates at.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Plant Whisperer

Allelopathy is only one piece of the algae issue, nutrients, organics and lighting are the three other big contenders for algae issues. Look at the chart to see which conditions promote and reduce algae.

The take home point is that when you have enough plant mass in the tank and when it is healthy and growing fast you will have minimal algae issues. Plants out compete algae.

Zapins
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Are you doing 50% WC weekly?

Heavy fish load? What's your nitrates at.
50% water change on Sundays. Last nitrate test was less than 10 ppm.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Allelopathy is only one piece of the algae issue, nutrients, organics and lighting are the three other big contenders for algae issues. Look at the chart to see which conditions promote and reduce algae.

The take home point is that when you have enough plant mass in the tank and when it is healthy and growing fast you will have minimal algae issues. Plants out compete algae.

I understand the take-home point. I am having trouble keeping my plants healthy enough to outcompete algae. I need to know what I can do to improve their health.

I'm thinking dosing potassium nitrate will help but what else can I do to promote plant growth?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

issues

I have a 55 gal heavily planted tank. I run a planted plus only for 7 hrs daily. Co2 injected and pps dosing. No algae. Way too much light in my opinion.

Last edited by rick dale; 01-11-2015 at 05:46 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Plant Whisperer

Quote:
I'm thinking dosing potassium nitrate will help but what else can I do to promote plant growth?
I agree with Aquaticz's suggestion of using EI.

There are a number of ways to help plants grow better but all of them involve giving plants enough nutrients, light and temperature to grow well.

EI is one method of providing adequate nutrients. Setting up soil below an inert cap is another way to do it. In the long run soil based tanks are more stable and probably promote less algae than EI does since soil prevents algae from accessing the nutrients while still maintaining healthy plant growth.

EI, is probably easier for you to do at this point since your tank is already set up and would not require a tear down to setup. You can read up on how to do it here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184531

and buy the fertilizers you need from here or another online vendor: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=5

You'll probably want to buy yourself a $10-15 digital jeweler's scale from ebay or amazon. It is far better than using teaspoons.

Zapins
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have a 46g bow front. Heavily planted. Finnex rayII, and finnex planted+. They run 2pm to 10pm. Co2 injection comes on at noon. According to drop checker, 30ppm. I dose kh2po4 and k2so4 on mwf, and plantex on tts, Sunday wc and gh booster.

I have been dosing EI, minus the potassium nitrate.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I have been dosing EI, minus the potassium nitrate.

Have to ask
Why would you NOT dose it? It is probably the most important macro.

@Rick Dale - +1
planted + on a 55 does not work- simply to much light for a typical photo period of 6-8 hr

Regards,
Aquaticz

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode