Need your opinions on lighting my 44g Pentagon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need your opinions on lighting my 44g Pentagon

Hey guys, I will try to make this short but im one of those people who like to type a lot to give out good info lol.. Basically I bought this 44g pentagon with stand and light for $100 on craigslist. The light is a Duel Power Compact Current Orbit fixture. 65Wx2 for 130 watts total. The lights that came with it were a 420/460 actinic and a 6700/10k daylight bulb.. If you guys don't know what Power Compacts are.. they are 2 bulbs built into 1.. So essentially I have 4 bulbs.

Anyway, obviously I needed to replace the actinic light. All of my planted tanks have T5 Normal output lights on them. The 27G Hex has 2 of them but 2 T8 plant bulbs so 4 lights. The plant bulbs though are a purplish hue and actually really make the tank look good combined with the T5.. So I figured if I buy a duel plant bulb for this I could get the reds plants need and have a good looking tank when combined with the 6700/10k light..

Well the bulb came in today its a straight pin bulb my fixture is square so I had to cut my wire plug off my ballast and wire the pins 1 by 1 directly to the pink bulb.. no biggy.. Works great but man this thing is HOT PINK.. and very bright... By itself it makes my tank look like a pink Barbie doll house.. Unlike the T8 floramax bulbs which when they are on by themselves are dim but REALLY pop out the fish colors.. So I turned the 6700/10k on and it looks better, but it really washes out the color of the plants.. With the 6700/10k by itself the plants are radiated green, with the duel pinks on together they look more yellowish.. However with the 6700/10k by itself due to my rocks the tank as a whole looks more yellowish lol..

So Im at a dilemma here.. Clearly the duel pinks are better for growing plants but man they kinda wash the colors out too much.. The guy I bought the tank from though gave me all his junk but in the junk was a new Sunpaq Ballast for 65w PC bulb.. The inside of my fixture I could fit that ballast and I probably could redo the light mounts and squeeze in a 3rd bulb... I already orderd a duel 6700/6700 light.. So in theory I could have 3x6700's 1x10k and 2xPink lights.. Im sure the 4 white lights would drown out any PINK color in the tank thus allowing the plants to have the reds, but making the tank look good to my eyes.. but it will put the tank to 195watts and I would be a tad concerned with the heat 3 ballasts and 6 bulbs cramped together with only 1 fan might be too much heat.. and also 6 bulbs next to eachother might actually lower the effective light output

Or should I just take the pink out and mount the 6700/6700 I ordered when I get it, so Ill have 3 6700's and 1 10k bulb. Im not a fan of packing a million white lights together to get more of the red/blues.. when a single plant bulb can achieve the same lighting as say 4 white bulbs.. hense why I got the pink bulb.. But it just seems too pink.. As I making sense here guys lol..

Here is a pic of the tank.. what looks better to you guys.. first pic is with all 4 lights on.. and second pic is with the pink lights off. The other picture shows the fixture a little, as you can see if I moved the 2 lamps to the sides more. I could fit a 3rd one in the middle.. What do you guys think ? Would the lights be too close to each other ? Or could it work... And would 195w be too much lighting ? That's like 15,000 lumens or 4.43WPG ... But first of all do you think it looks good with the pinks ? You can see the plants aren't as green with them on

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode