how many is to many - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
how many is to many

Just was wondering when my tank is fully put together and cycled how many otos and neon tetras will i be able to add at a time? I would like to have a total of about 8 to 10 otos and maybe like 25 neon's tetras but i am not really sure how many i should add at a time because i know there not really going to be a big impact of the bio load but i do not want to just throw 25 neon's and 10 otos in all at once so any info will def help, Thanks =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I believe 5 is a good number. After adding 5, make sure they are doing fine, eating well, water parameters are fine, usually takes about 8 to 10 days may b more...once you are satisfied add another 5...and so on.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright cool yea that what i would do for my other tanks but i have never had a planted tank so i had know clue if it would be different =)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
How big is your tank?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
in my 75g i did 13 cardinal juvies and then another 12 2 weeks later

Bump: depends on size of fish and tank and such

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Added 15 neons to my 20 along with the 10 that were already in there over 2 weeks ago with no losses
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
in my 75g i did 13 cardinal juvies and then another 12 2 weeks later

Bump: depends on size of fish and tank and such
i should add, its been 7 months since cycle almost 8 now and i never lost a single cardinal.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
How big is your tank?
its a 50gallon 36x18x18 =)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do the fishless cycle first, then add them all at once. The fishless cycle grows so much bacteria you can fully stock the tank as soon as it is complete.

Add Nitrospira when you add them and you can add them all.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yea i am planing on doing a two week cycle and then testing the water parameters because i am adding two types of bacteria products to the tanks when i set it up, one is ATM Colony which has live nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria which are proven to utilize ammonia and nitrite as a primary energy source, at least that's what the bottles says and my friends have had very good luck with this. The other products i will be adding is bacter 100 which has more than 100 kinds of effective microorganisms to help stabilize the ecosystem in an aquarium as it says, and the last one is Clear super(Wood charcoal powder, rich in organic acid, promotes the growth of microorganisms. Now u said to add Nitrospira what brand do u use??

O and i forgot to add that i will be having shrimp with this setup, will the shrimp just be done the same way as the fish? As in will i just add them all at once when i get them in with the fish or will have have to add them a little at a time or will i be able to add these guys right away upon setup? Sorry for all the questions i just find it better to ask then experiment and end up feeling like a jack wagon lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The actual species of nitrite removing bacteria is Nitrospira.
This was figured out about 15 years ago when Dr. Timothy Hovanec worked for Marineland.
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/about
Prior to that many companies sold what they thought were the right species of bacteria (I have used some of these, and they did not work well.) Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter are the old ones. They die off in the aquarium. The easiest way to tell: The bottle tells you to keep adding them week after week, through the life of the aquarium.

There are many other microorganisms in an aquarium, and if the other products you are using are part of a seeding program to establish the population of many of these others, go for it.
But do not expect them to be the right nitrifying species.

The correct species that remove ammonia and nitrite can be found in
Dr. Tim's One and Only
Tetra Safe Start
and probably some others. Read the label. If it includes Nitrospira, then it highly likely also includes the correct ammonia removing bacteria.

The specific brand I have used in the past was Tetra Safe Start. This was an emergency case where the original tank leaked and fish had to be doubled up in too-small a tank. Could not move over all the places where bacteria had lodged, so had to add more bacteria. Worked great.

When I am not rushed I do the fishless cycle that I have posted so often. Gives the plants and all the other microorganisms several weeks or longer to get established in the tank. I share media among the tanks to jump start the populations.

I have also started new tanks by sharing media from several established tanks to start 1 new tank. This way the established tanks are not losing too much bacteria, but the new tank gets a generous supply that can be grown quickly into a big population capable of handling a full fish load.

Order to add livestock:
1) Bacteria
2) Shy, small critters that might get eaten. Let them get to know the tank and find hiding places. Shrimp, smallest fish.
3) Somewhat more pushy fish, perhaps schooling, but that might want to eat the shrimp.
4) Territorial fish. When the other fish are established (even by just a few days) the territorial fish will not (generally) claim the whole tank. They are moving in on someone else's space, so will be a bit less aggressive at first.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

great to know diana=) My plan is to wait about two weeks before even thinking of adding fish but the fish that i have in mind so far, but not for sure are otos neon tetras, cory's, blue dream neo shrimp and i might end up getting a proven pair of discus for the tank if everything works out good for two months or so to make sure the shrimp population is good enough to handle the discus. not 100%sure about the discus as they are very pricey but on the other fish and the shrimp i am for sure going to have those=)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I do pure ammomia fish-less cycling on all my tanks. This is a safe easy to build up a huge benificisl bacteria colony and be able to fully stock your tank all at once. The only risk with this is 1 sick fish (with columnaris for example) can kill everyone... But you won't have filter or ammonia/nitrite issues
Read more about fish-less cycling [here]

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the link =) this is actually the same way i will be doing my new tank only difference is i will be kick starting it with the bacter 100 and the atm colony

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode