Window tint background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Window tint background

I was thinking about using window tint as a background for my tank. Has anyone tried using static cling window tint instead of painting? If so, how did it work out and do you have pics you can post?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'll bet that if it is applied carefully that would look pretty good.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thats what I was thinking as well. It could even be backlit and probably look pretty sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #168

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I frosted the back of my tank, it is amazing. I fought about tinting it, but never tried. Cant wait to see how your looks.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I'm going to try it. Tomorrow, I'll go by advance and pick some up. If you want to see the outcome, it'll be in my journal (see my signature)

Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Member

I just painted the outside back of my tank (not set up yet) with flat black Rustolem.
I hope this wasn't a screw up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't worry, it's not a screw up. If you need to, with some elbow grease, you can scrape the paint off (if it's a glass aquarium and not acrylic). I've painted quite a few tanks in my time. I'm just looking for an alternative option.

Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the "Privacy" tint on the back of my tank. I have used paint in the past and figured why not try something new.

It looks like a darkly tinted car window, which IMO isn't that great a look. You can still see the wall and any cords that may be behind the tank, they are just darker.

Paint was easier to apply, looks nicer, and is cheaper. A frosted film could probably look a lot better with the right aquascape and appropriate back lighting, but the tinted stuff just doesn't accomplish much.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've used sign vinyl which works pretty well as long as you're real careful to get all the bubbles out when you apply it . Think it's similar stuff to window tint . I used one of the plastic spreaders meant for Bondo to squeeze out the air pockets as I applied the vinyl, a plastic putty knife would probably be just as good . If your tank is over maybe 15 gallons , you might want to get some help , if only to hold up the film off the glass while you press it down with the spreaders .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good point...my tank is 75 gallons. I guess I will have to enlist the wife in this chore. She's gonna love that.

Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Planted Member

Around here nobody paint their tanks, LFS here sells vinyl sheets which can be pasted on the back of the tank, which can be removed without any residue. Not too different from window tint except it's opaque. All my tanks use it.

Btw it's easy to apply vinyl perfectly, the trick is to wet the glass surface with water before applying, and then use a plastic scrapper / credit card / ruler to scrap out the water pockets. It's a lot harder to scrap out air pockets.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
I have the "Privacy" tint on the back of my tank. I have used paint in the past and figured why not try something new.

It looks like a darkly tinted car window, which IMO isn't that great a look. You can still see the wall and any cords that may be behind the tank, they are just darker.

Paint was easier to apply, looks nicer, and is cheaper. A frosted film could probably look a lot better with the right aquascape and appropriate back lighting, but the tinted stuff just doesn't accomplish much.
I was thinking of the limo tint, 5% opacity. Maybe that would look better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
Around here nobody paint their tanks, LFS here sells vinyl sheets which can be pasted on the back of the tank, which can be removed without any residue. Not too different from window tint except it's opaque. All my tanks use it.

Btw it's easy to apply vinyl perfectly, the trick is to wet the glass surface with water before applying, and then use a plastic scrapper / credit card / ruler to scrap out the water pockets. It's a lot harder to scrap out air pockets.
That's the same technique I always use for applying window tint and screen protectors for my electronics. There really is no other way if you don't want air pockets.

Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try black Plastidip- goes on as easy as spay paint and can be removed easily.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Check my sig. I used black window tint on my 7g cube. Worked out great!

7g Cube -
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Skinny View Post
Try black Plastidip- goes on as easy as spay paint and can be removed easily.

I painted the back of my (acrylic) tank with plastidip. Really easy, and has a nice textured flat black finish that's easy to remove. Goes on easier than spraypaint too, only downside is its like $5/can, so a little more pricey than cheapo black paint.

DIY Enthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode