Anyone try these for planted hill? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone try these for planted hill?

I am a newbie, about to begin my adventure with a planted tank. I have a 75 gallon tank I just bought, and actually created a post yesterday in the "Equipment" forum, so if you have any good advice, feel free to share with me, I would appreciate it!

Anyway, maybe I am so new to this that this idea is totally crappy or totally awesome? I want to build a big hill or plateau, but don't want the soil or substrate to sink. So I found this and thought it could be a great option in keeping substrate/soil up and in shape.
Pond planting bags!

http://www.healthypets.com/laguna-pl...bag-large.html

Idea:

Would this work? Anyone use these? Also, anyone ever try using a tupper-ware container or other object to cover with soil and use as a light weight space filler under the soil to hold the integrity of a hill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shouldn't really be necessary. The bags won't stop the top layer of soil rolling down.

What gradient on the slope are you planning? If you want something really step most people build a structure out of egg crate.

add a little soil at a time. spray water as you go. get the soil wet and it will stick. then plant. then slowly fill the tank. I've held 45 degree slopes this way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Planted Member

I used styrofoam to fill space and make a hill. And there are enough rocks in the slope, the sand should hold well and not slide down too much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
Shouldn't really be necessary. The bags won't stop the top layer of soil rolling down.

What gradient on the slope are you planning? If you want something really step most people build a structure out of egg crate.

add a little soil at a time. spray water as you go. get the soil wet and it will stick. then plant. then slowly fill the tank. I've held 45 degree slopes this way
Thanks for the info! I am planning to/would like to have a steep decline, like almost a 90 degree if possible, like a cliff. Good advice on how to add soil... I will definitely do that, thanks!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I used styrofoam to fill space and make a hill. And there are enough rocks in the slope, the sand should hold well and not slide down too much.
Any type of Styrofoam? I don't want to use anything that would emit something that would kill the fish... sorry I'm a rookie to this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Jus use lava rocks u can get fairly big ones from petco for about $5, bury them under the substrate an u can also use thin acrylic at the bottom of the hill to keep more of the sub in place.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode