Fresh water tank and sumps. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
TJT

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fresh water tank and sumps.

I purchased a used 90g tank from a salt water forum and i did a LOT of reading up there about sumps. I was going to make one for my 90, but noticed the lack of sump setups for freshwater tanks. Is there a reason for this? i did read a sump helps "positive gas exchange" but i realize for planted aquariums you want to keep your co2 so im wondering if this was the reason.

Also I dont fully understand if you need to run a canister filter with a sump, or is the sump its self the filter.

My original plan was to get a canister filter for this tank. Is that better for a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Due to the gas exchange a canister would be better. I made a sump for my tank so I can hide the heater there and it keeps the water level in the tank constant. It only serves as a biological filter if you add filter media to your sump. Otherwise you might want a canister. My Sump right now is just a letter box from staples. Some ppl here have sumps and they just add more CO2 due to the loss from the sump plumbing. HTH
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
If you're injecting CO2, sumps are a good way to outgas all the CO2.

The sump is basically your filter.

I would just run a canister filter...or two.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
TJT

Thanks for the quick responses, ill go with a canister filter like i originaly intended.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
If you're injecting CO2. sumps are a good way to outgas all the CO2.

The sump is basically your filter.

I would just run a canister filter...or two.
Agreed.

Sumps also provide more water which should make the whole system more stable while still having the same size tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
And keep in mind that one of the benefits of a sump is a constant water line in the tank itself, but that can also be achieved by using an auto-topoff that can be DIY'd very cheaply and easily.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
TJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
And keep in mind that one of the benefits of a sump is a constant water line in the tank itself, but that can also be achieved by using an auto-topoff that can be DIY'd very cheaply and easily.

Yeah ive seen that, but i live in an appartment with no real plumbing to set this up so its not one of my concerns.

Ill have to do it the old fashion WC every week, i dont mind it i actualy enjoy doing it every sunday.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
Just my $.02 on this, but sumps do not always "waste" CO2 as most think. Depending on the filtration being used in a sump will determine a lot of how much CO2 is lost. If you are running a wet/dry filtration where the water is constantly "falling" through your media and into water below, you are in essence creating a waterfall which will in fact create more agitation and release the CO2. However, if you do not have this waterfall effect and your return is submerged, then you will be better off. In addition, you can seal off the top of the sump to combat evaporation and CO2 loss as well.

Sumps are great for hiding equipment, and that is really why I use them. My heaters, pH probe, and CO2 reactor are all in my sump. For me this is much better. Also, as someone else said, they can be made out of a letterbin from Staples or a Rubbermaid tote.

Anyway, just wanted to throw out that sumps are not all bad and can indeed be very efficient with regard to CO2. Once again, just my $.02. Enjoy your tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode