Nano Biotopes Using IM Fusion 10s in the Classroom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Biotopes Using IM Fusion 10s in the Classroom

Dear Forum Members,

I am a public school teacher and a diehard fan of the aquarium hobby. Having started on sticklebacks fished from local creeks in California and most recently introduced to the reef hobby by my brother--fish are a family affair--I have come to love the simplicity of keep corals over the hassle of my last endeavor, a high-tech planted tank that I sold to buy my first Innovative Marine Nano 8.

This year, I have teamed with the AP Environmental Science teacher at my school to offer a year-long course that makes use of seven IM Fusion 10 aquariums that will showcase seven disparate biotopes. The students formed teams and were given eight choices we thought would be appropriate for these small tanks. Their choices range from Hawaiian Volcano Tide Pool with Opa ulae to Asian Stillwater Planted Tank with sparkling gouramis to a Caribbean Reef with live rock and LPS corals to a Mangrove Swamp with mangrove seedlings.

We ran into an unforeseen problem with these small tanks because of the very dry conditions of my school: evaporation occurs much more rapidly than in my own home. That coupled with the Fusion's mesh cover means that my students are topping off daily. We have since purchased acrylic pieces that help slow down the process, but this solution will not work over long weekends and holiday breaks.

Our solution setting up ATO systems for each tank, but the school stretched its budget to provide the tanks and cannot offer more funding. Please consider giving to my DonorsChoose project. If you give before November 1st and use the promo code SPARK, the Paul G. Allen Foundation will match your donation. Any donation will help, and you can even do this through your Amazon account.

Thank you for reading this rather long forum post, and please do not take offense to this solicitation. I would not have done this if it were not a) for children, and b) related to our love of the aquarium hobby.

http://www.donorschoose.org/jason.chau
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode