Help with anubias only 180 - No Co2. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help with anubias only 180 - No Co2.

So I have a 180 (6ft x 2ft) with anubias only. Ive been adding flourish here and there. Also Iron flourish once a few weeks or so. Tried flourish potassium but it didnt seem to do much.

I have no Co2. Only the LED light (no idea how bright it is as far as PAR) and a 4' t5NO thats not too bright at all.

The plants are not dying, but I get the occasional yellow and then dead leaf. They really arent thriving either. When I got them, they were this nice big size.

Whats the best way to keep them happy and healthy and maybe thrive? Schedule and or additives?

I dont know why the pic will not load......

http://tinypic.com/r/u79c4/8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need to provide all elements of nutrients. This means npk and micros. Flourish once and a while will not be enough.

Bump:

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

It loooks to me from the picture like most of the yellow leaves are in places that are less well-lit. The lighting doesn't look so bad but I would try increasing it.

You will need to fertilize with a full IE (if that's what you choose) NPK and CSM+B (hope that's spelled right - it's micronutrients). The dose of fertilizers should be less than instructed because you're not thickly planted. You should see a difference over the time it usually takes to produce new leaves.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How long have you had your tank set up? Are your nitrates over 10 ppm. I get by with very little fertilizers. Your fish load looks like they would get most of what they need from there waste. But I have seen them sit and do nothing for couple months and then just take off.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

BTW, Anubis are very undemanding when it comes to light, so maybe that's not the first thing you should try.

I believe that the yellowing of leaves is called chlorosis and is present in many deficiencies. Here's a link to a deficiency chart: http://deficiencyfinder.com/ and here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98529

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

Anubias require little light and in my experience do fine in shaded areas. Keep the tank low light, also you might look into a split photo period to keep the CO2 levels from bottoming out during your photo cycle.

As long as you have fish providing nitrates, food providing phosphate then all you really need to dose is K and micros. Last I checked yellow leaves can be a sign of potassium deficiency. If I were in your shoes I would dose K and micros once a week during the water change and call it good.

55G High Tech, 3G High Tech, 3G Low Tech, 2.5G Low Tech, 5G Low Tech
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
abubias is one of the easiest to grow plants in the trade.

your problem is not lighting,i have anubias growing in a bowl that gets indirect light for maybe 3 hours a day and it is doing almost better than any of my other anubias, usually anubias have a potassium deficiency.

usually the easiest fix is root tabs but since all of yours are attached to rocks you are going to have to start dosing ferts. since all you have are anubias in the tank you could get by with a very lite regimen, you will have to ask an expert but i would assume ou can get by with maybe half the recommended dose for a tank that size.

you will want to go in and cut off all of the decaying leaves before you start to dose. after a week or two of dosing inspect the leaves for any new damage or new growth and adjust dosing up or down based on plants.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

waht would you guys use to dose ferts in this big 180? Flourish Potassium might get expensive -

Potassium sulfate? or Nitrate?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Potassium sulfate is what you want.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ive never dosed raw dry ferts - what would be the dosing regimen for this 180?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
For anubias u dont need too much ferts, all their doin right now is settleing in. I just finnished goin through the same thing with my custom 70gal anubias set up.
This is like 3-6 months ago
I do run CO2 but ive gone months with no ferts jus tha CO2 an i got no algae nothing even now i dose once in a while with dry ferts.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 10-27-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
For anubias u dont need too much ferts, all their doin right now is settleing in. I just finnished goin through the same thing with my custom 70gal anubias set up.
This is like 3-6 months ago
I do run CO2 but ive gone months with no ferts jus tha CO2 an i got no algae nothing even now i dose once in a while with dry ferts.
So much lovely anubias *grabby hands at* is that broadleaf going up towards the surface on the far left?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Coffefolia? I have like 6 of those

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode