Quarantine tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quarantine tanks

Question for you guys... How many of you run quarantine tanks?

When I purchased my 75 gallon a couple months ago, it also came with a 10 gallon tank. I figured this might be a good choice to use as a quarantine tank. Not really so much fish I'm worried about, but more so the plants. How exactly do I go about putting plants on quarantine? Just drop them in the tank?

can you leave the plants in quarantine so hopefully they'll be rid of any snails/hitchhikers that might come along with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, quarantining plants won't really rid them of anything, except maybe parasites/diseases that need a fish host. However, it is a good way to prove out that there are no snails on them if you leave them in there for several weeks and nothing hatches.

I think in terms of plants most folks here just dip plants in alum, potassium permanganate, bleach, and/or metricide. If you are just worried about snails and hitchikers, 2Tbsp alum/gallon for 3 hours is fairly gentle on plants and is effective on snails and such. Alum can be found in with the spices in the grocery store, it is used to make pickles crunchy.

I have used my QT tank as a "holding pen" for excess plants that I might later want to put in the main tank if I can find room. I recently bought plants and the seller included an extra pack free. That was great, but I was only able to plant part of the free pack right away. I tossed the excess in my QT tank, and after a week I had time to do a bit of re-arranging in the main and planted more of it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I have a 10g quarantine tank (don't get large enough fish/school size to need more). Ever since I lost my betta from introducing several new otos to the 20g tank with him and everyone dieing off within a week (including the betta... and no it wasn't a cycling issue, the tank was well planted ad had other fish that I moved to a different tank right before putting new ones in so no cycle hickups) I make everyone go through quarantine first for at least 2 week. I ended up running the 20g for a month with no fish (dosed ammonia for BB) because the bettas showed some sighs of columnaris being the disease, it can live in a tank without a host for up to 4 weeks from what I've read. When I got replacement fish they went through quarantine in groups: otos, cherry barbs, angel fish before going into the 20g (and moved into 55g recent). No disease issued in 20g (or 55g) now.
For plants I only quarantine anubias as it can carry a spreadable disease called rhizome rot (pretty easy to spot if you have it) that can kill all other anubias in the same tank. Every other plant just gets washed in tap or a mild bleach dip then thorough wash. If I get plants I know are 100% algae free I acclimate them like fish (float bag, lights off, add water over time then put them in tank). I don't keep live plants in my fish quarantine as some meds kill plants and I don't want to have t toss plants if I get a lingering disease. Putting plants in quarantine doesn't magically rid yourself of snails, they'll still be on the plants laying eggs. You need to dip or rinse plants thoroughly to remove them. If you are not keeping any other inverts (no shrimp or larger snails like mts, rabbit, nerite, etc) and NEVER plan to, you can use a copper product to kill them (I've heard some people just drop pennies in) but once you use copper, tanks are condemned for shrimp keeping it seems.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
How exactly do I go about putting plants on quarantine? Just drop them in the tank?
I worry about this as well, especially when I found out the plants can carry ich, and most LFS's selling plants have them in with fish on common sumps (i.e. if any one of their tanks has ich they all do).

My impression (emphasis on impression) is that ich in particular isn't killed by a dip, at least a mild dip, as the parasite my be in the tomont's reproducing stage which is pretty immune to anything. Being alone in a warmish (say 82F) tank for several days without fish is a complete fix. But how long can most plants go without good light or ferts (as my QT has poor light and I generally am not adding fertilizer, though I can).

Most knowledgeable articles I read about QT's are about fish. I'd love to hear more about plants.

PS. I also have bought quite a few of the TopFin packaged plants, which are tissue culture, and (supposedly) free of snails, algae, and disease by its nature. It's nice to just pop them into the tank. I bought some crypts (known for melting in new tanks) and was astounded they just took off and grew. I'd love to hear of more "safe" sources of plants that do not need quarantine.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

I am new to plants I dip & quarantine for 2 weeks. Fish for 8 weeks ,koi 1/2 year from lessons learned after 40 years of fish keeping.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post

My impression (emphasis on impression) is that ich in particular isn't killed by a dip, at least a mild dip, as the parasite my be in the tomont's reproducing stage which is pretty immune to anything. Being alone in a warmish (say 82F) tank for several days without fish is a complete fix. But how long can most plants go without good light or ferts (as my QT has poor light and I generally am not adding fertilizer, though I can).
Ich in its tomont's are immune to everything that doesn't also kill fish. But they are not at all invulnerable.

The 1:20 bleach dip (2600+ ppm Cl) we use on plants would do enough damage to be fatal to a fish in fractions of a second. It will also kill ich tomonts, no problem. It sometimes kills sensitive plants too.

Potassium permangenate dips will probably also kill them, at least at the high doses we use on plants. It is powerful stuff too.

Alum dips don't really do anything to bacteria, algae or protozoans.. it's really just for killing snails, worms and bugs. But it is gentler on the plants.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
The 1:20 bleach dip (2600+ ppm Cl) we use on plants would do enough damage to be fatal to a fish in fractions of a second. It will also kill ich tomonts, no problem. It sometimes kills sensitive plants too.

Potassium permangenate dips will probably also kill them, at least at the high doses we use on plants. It is powerful stuff too.
I haven't found any potassium permangenate yet (ace, home depot and lowes here don't seem to carry it).

I collected some wild plants and dipped in 1:20. Some survived, quite a few died. I had two baths of decreasing strength Prime I rinsed in after 2 minutes in the dip.

Glad to know nothing bad should survive. Bad thing is some good stuff dies.

Is PP less likely to kill some plants, assuming I can find it?

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have not used PP, but I've read that it is easier on the plants...

There are a few things that PP reacts with in dangerous ways, which may be why it is getting harder to buy.

It also stains the blazes out of anything it touches, and is rather corrosive, if you do get some, handle with reasonable care...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use two 20 gallon as quarantine tanks. I don't usually quarantine my plants. I not to worry about snails. My fish from small to large seem to eat baby snails and they never become a problem. But with fish as you build your inventory and cost up you will be glad you have that 10 gallon tank. One time bring in a sick fish and losening your whole tank will make you never want to be without one. I also use my quarantine tanks to hold all my trimming from my other tank so there full of plants too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So you can dip plants in bleach for a short amount of time and this should eliminate snail eggs?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, although if snails are your only concern I'd suggest alum dip. It is easier on the plants.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What exactly is alum dip anyways? Where can you get it?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Planted Member

I use a sunsun 4 stage canister filter on my 20gal quarantine tank with uv sterilization and it kills anything passing the light. Like Linwood said in his journal the cheap. less the 50 bucks. I also bought some TopFin wisteria (Hygrophilia difformis) and they came with snails.Thank god they are in my refugium.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
What exactly is alum dip anyways? Where can you get it?
I explaned that back up in post #2 of this thread:

Quote:
If you are just worried about snails and hitchikers, 2Tbsp alum/gallon for 3 hours is fairly gentle on plants and is effective on snails and such. Alum can be found in with the spices in the grocery store, it is used to make pickles crunchy.

See also this thread (someone posted a picture of McCormick brand alum:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=473042

That thread links to this page, which is long, but has a really good section on plant dipping:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode