What is wrong with my HC? Deficiency? GW too! Please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Exclamation What is wrong with my HC? Deficiency? GW too! Please help

Ok, I just set up my first planted tank a few weeks ago and my worst nightmares are coming true!!!! I need help please!!!!!

My HC appears to have some leaves turning a light brownish color. Sorry for the bad pics, i couldnt capture the true color with all the green water. And that brings me to my next issue, GW!! its really bad right now and i cant see in the tank. I also have some GSA on the glass.

Here's the details of my setup:

- tank: 55g
- plants: HC and blyxa japonica
- co2: pressurized, about 4bps
- lights: 216w (54x4) T5HO, 2x bulbs for 8 hours, 4x bulbs for 3 hours
- substrate: flourite
- ferts: EI dosing for 40~60g tank, Excel everyday

Parameters:
- co2: dark green color in drop checker all day (filled w/ 4dkh solution)
- kh: 8
- gh: ~15
- ph: 6.8
- ammonia: 0
- nitrites: 0.25
- nitrates: 40 (tested yesterday, realized it was very high)

So, now the million dollar question, what am i doing wrong? Too much lighting? too much ferts? not enough? not enough co2? could the GW be using up the nutrients in the water causing what appears to be a deficiency in the HC?

Please help me!! i dont wanna throw in the towel already Heres the pics, best i can do, sorry!

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

by the way, i just cut my lighting today. i cut out the second bank of lights and reduced one hour of the total. so, going forward, i will be running 2x 54w bulbs for 7 hours

~ Jose

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
You don't have nearly enough the plant biomass to use your current lighting levels. Drop your lighting, 6 hours of 2 bulbs...and that's it.

Get a UVS or diatom filter to clear the GW.

This was emersed HC transitioning to submersed conditions. You will experience a small amount of die-off. Once you control the GW, you can tend to the HC. I'd 1.5x the dose of Excel...but do it carefully. HC loves the stuff, but you don't want it to melt.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks epic, ill change the lighting schedule again. what about the EI dosing? do i need to reduce this as well since my plant load is fairly light?

~ Jose

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

also, the tank has had water for over two weeks now. wouldnt the HC have started to melt earlier if it was due to the transition phase?

~ Jose

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Yea, reduce your dosing...by how much I can't tell you, trial and error is how I do it.

It might also be that the GW is preventing light from getting to the HC. I don't know. Usually, emersed HC always has some die-off during transition to submerged conditions, even if it's only a little. As long as it doesn't get much worse in a short amount of time, I'd just monitor it. When I used to buy HC overseas, I'd get random periods of die-off for up to three weeks after introduction to my tank.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok, just ordered the 24w UV light from petsmart. hopefully it will be here next week as my local store didnt carry it.

any other suggestions?

~ Jose

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BUMP! any ideas of what i should do with my dosing?

~ Jose

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
nooooo! oh man this is not the thread I wanted to see......
hopefully its just a temporary thing! I remember barr saying that high co2 and high nutrients are the solution to all algae.... (post at barrreport as well!)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would imagine the GW is created by too long of a photoperiod. Cutting back your photoperiod, performing frequent water changes, waiting it out should allow the GW to dissipate. As epicfish noted a UV sterilizer can help speed the process up but isn't necessary. The GSA could also be caused due to the long photoperiod. Try going to the base dosing guidelines for your setup for a while and then upping from there.

+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
oh, of course the GH booster is for those that need it and looking at your parameters it appears you probably do not.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
My experience is that EI dosing is for pretty well planted tanks. If you don't have a lot of plant biomass then you are left with increasing nutrients in the water colum which lead to algae. I would start by cutting it in half and leave the co2 the same. Then go from there.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How long has the tank been running? IME, green water happens in almost all of my new tanks. After 3 weeks, it usually goes away. GSA/GDA too. You may want to get some fast growing stems to toss in there.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin_pak View Post
nooooo! oh man this is not the thread I wanted to see......
hopefully its just a temporary thing! I remember barr saying that high co2 and high nutrients are the solution to all algae.... (post at barrreport as well!)
lol yeah i know, hopefully it is just temporary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smn723 View Post
I would imagine the GW is created by too long of a photoperiod. Cutting back your photoperiod, performing frequent water changes, waiting it out should allow the GW to dissipate. As epicfish noted a UV sterilizer can help speed the process up but isn't necessary. The GSA could also be caused due to the long photoperiod. Try going to the base dosing guidelines for your setup for a while and then upping from there.

+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
thx for the input, yeah as i stated ive cut my lighting to just two bulbs for 6 hours. we'll see how that goes. as for dosing, yup, this is the exact numbers i dose, w/o the gh booster though since i dont need that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post
My experience is that EI dosing is for pretty well planted tanks. If you don't have a lot of plant biomass then you are left with increasing nutrients in the water colum which lead to algae. I would start by cutting it in half and leave the co2 the same. Then go from there.
yeah that makes sense. i know the sticky says something about heavily planted. i just wasnt sure if a big carpet of HC could be considered "heavily planted". i reduced my dosing just a little bit today, but not by half. ill try the dosing for the 20~40g tanks and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
How long has the tank been running? IME, green water happens in almost all of my new tanks. After 3 weeks, it usually goes away. GSA/GDA too. You may want to get some fast growing stems to toss in there.
The tank has had water for about two weeks now. i guess ill see what happens between now and when the UV light arrives. if it looks likes it clearing up, i wont use and just get a refund...

Thanks for the input!

~ Jose

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, so nobody thinks the HC is suffering from a nutrient deficiency? Do you guys think it could be emersed/sumberged melt down? its been submerged for a little over two weeks now...

~ Jose

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode