Canopies, Glass Covers or nothing? What do you use and why? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What do you use to keep jumpers in?
Canopy alone 1 3.57%
Glass cover alone 7 25.00%
Canopy and glass cover 7 25.00%
Mesh/screen/other 2 7.14%
Nothing, if they want to jump its their problem! 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canopies, Glass Covers or nothing? What do you use and why?

Do you guys use glass covers or not?

I have fish that can jump. so i either need a canopy or a glass cover.

still trying to decide if i should use a canopy alone or whether i should just do some suspended lights (i would hang the AHS light box) over the tank and use a glass tank cover. i wont do both the canopy and glass cover since its a pain in the ass to open the glass cover within a canopy.

canopy alone pros:
looks clean
don't have glass to clean
i assume more efficient use of light without glass cover

canopy alone cons:
wood will eventually rot with the moisture

glass cover alone pros:
no damaged to lighting box suspended over tank (no moisture)
less water evaporation

glass cover alone cons:
glass has to be cleaned regularly
i assume less efficient use of light as glass cover becomes dirty.

feel free to add what to feel is a pro/con for either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use a glass cover over 1 tank and nothing over the other 3. The irony is that they only jumper that I've ever had made it through a tiny hole on the covered tank.

I prefer no covers, but you'll get the occasional piece of lint/dog hair floating around in the tank.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

I do not use covers on 2 of my tanks, the others have CF lighting built into the hoods. The 20 gallon with no lid doesn't even have trim, just bevelled glass top edge.
The only jumpers I have had were shrimp trying to escape predators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have had the occasional danio, guppy or red eyed tetra jump which i don't really care about.

however i had a 4" expensive roseline shark jump before (my rainbow shark would chase him time to time).

i've also had a 2" clown loach jump before. luckily my roommate was sitting in the living room during the incident and just picked him back up and put him back in.

if you guys answer mesh/screen/other, let me know what you are using. i'm curious about what screens i could use to keep the larger fish from jumping. i guess a screen with 1/2" gaps would work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

I have a Juwel Rio 125 liter tank and it comes with the canopy...it has a really clean look. The lights are neatly tucked in there. I don't have to clean any glass but I still need to wipe down the bulbs every once in a while for good measure. The light unit comes with the water-proof end caps.. this is something to keep in mind if your going to DIY. The end caps keep the humidity from getting inside the electronics.

On my smaller 13 gallon I have a flat plastic canopy with a strip of glass. A DIY wood box with the lights hang 2 inches above the canopy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Planted Member

Against all odds: I used one of those standard canopies, and a very nice male swordtail managed to jump out through the filter opening the very first day I put it in the tank, after months of living in an open top tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

I added a Plexiglas cover to keep evaporation to a minimum, I think it helps. The canopy lights are then protected from water spray.

Falling down, isn't failure,
refusing to get back up is.

Eheim 2215, & 1048 Pimp #316

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

Yep, on the 2 lidless tanks I have to do bulb and reflector cleaning maintenance every 6 weeks or so. My one tank is 18" deep so my light sits right on top of the tank without any riser legs, it does get some splatter.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
does water splatter hurt the bulbs (T5HO or PC)?

John

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM

I use a glass top, mostly because I have 2 cats and fear them either jumping mistakenly into the tank, or deftly jumping onto the rim and knocking the light in... either way there would be bad consequences...

Also there is less evaporation and my amanos have a harder time committing suicide...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
no bulbs are waterproof (they are filled with a gas, and thats what glows, if you ever broke one you would see they have no wires inside, they keep gas in, and also keep water out. but, if the water splashes on the fixture where the bulb is held in place and gets electricity, then it can create a short circut.

i use nothing. i had nothing, then had gold clouds jump out a few times, then i got an acrylic cover. then i got fed up with it, and now i use nothing again.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
if they are going to jump they will jump. for the most part my tanks are all open top.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I have glass canopies on all my tank to reduce carpet surfers (aka furry pet snacks) and help with evaporation.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use glass under a canopy
It works for me and its not really a pain. just use prop rod to hold up canopy and lift up glass to get into tank. Helps alot with evaporation since i added the glass

- Join today!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

right now i have a plastic canopy. i'm looking at upgrading my light so i might go to a glass top.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode