Little bit of Help with a reseal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Little bit of Help with a reseal

After a devastating family loss last year, I have finally started keeping up with my tank again. I was bored a few days ago and stumbled across a great find on craigslist for an amazing price, I decided to upgrade to really give myself that push I wanred back into the hobby. Took it home and started to clean and do a leak test and it has a small leak.

Now I know that its the best idea to just do all the seams, especially since the tank is almost 19 years old according to its manufacturers date. But the tank is not square! Its trapezoid! Does the reseal work the sameway? All the videos I have seen are on square tanks.

Last edited by babydragons; 10-22-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I grew up in Union City, just up the hill from Hoboken and I remember there being lots of "trapezoids" down there, but never an aquatic one. Is this significantly out of line at assembly or is this a flat-back hexagon that you're working with? A picture would help a bit.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These pics are before I picked it up and cleaned it for 2 hours yesterday. Its like 40 to 50 gallons.
I live in bayonne which no one knows where it is ever. Hence the Hobokenish location lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ahhhh, I got around. I know or at least knew Bayonne well. Famous for a bar on every single corner for many decades, lol!

Thats' a flat-backed hexagon. Trapezoid works too, but in aquarium terms it's a FBH. But in any case, resealing would work the same way. Do you know where the leak is?

If you remove the rim to reseal it, be careful. It won't be as easy to replace as the trim on standard rectangles. Don't cheap out, buy a tube of aquarium silicone instead of the GE sealants. They are different and the price isn't as different as it used to be.

Angelo

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've resealed four stainless steel framed tanks but not a flat back hex tank like yours. My guess would be that it would be the same and your taping of the joints would be the key. Remove all of the old silicone and clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol to make sure you have good bonding surfaces. Use silicone that contains no mildew inhibitors (GE silicone I) Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADA Gentleman #6

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Taping of the joints?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
Taping of the joints?
Blue painter's tape applied to either side of the seam to achieve a uniform bead uniform and won't let you over-taper it.
There's a complication with the front of a hex though. The front seams are set at a much shallower angle. So that it would be really easy to starve the seam of silicone, but at the same time it can't be too thick. A tough balancing act.

Angelo

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aaah ha. I hadnt gotten that far on the videos for how to do this. Just watched while the scraped all the insides out. Is it really that big of a difference between the aquarium stuff and the silicone you buy at the hardware store?

Bump: Aaah ha. I hadnt gotten that far on the videos for how to do this. Just watched while the scraped all the insides out. Is it really that big of a difference between the aquarium stuff and the silicone you buy at the hardware store?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
Aaah ha. I hadnt gotten that far on the videos for how to do this. Just watched while the scraped all the insides out. Is it really that big of a difference between the aquarium stuff and the silicone you buy at the hardware store?

Bump: Aaah ha. I hadnt gotten that far on the videos for how to do this. Just watched while the scraped all the insides out. Is it really that big of a difference between the aquarium stuff and the silicone you buy at the hardware store?
I've used both and there's a distinct difference in the smell of the GE sealants. The acetic acid smell that comes from the true aquarium silicone will curl the hairs in your nose (and do funny things to your brainwaves). The odor of the GE sealants is just different. That simply tell sme the two aren't the same. So to save a few $ per tube, just doesn't make sense to me. There was a time when the GE sealants were $3 per tube. Depending on where you buy, it's anywhere from $6 to $9. As an example Ken's sells Perfecto silicone for $8. I know you have to spend $75 for free shipping, but Even Amazon Prime costs $12 for AGA silicone.

Angelo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode