Newbie Here, Hi how are you! Help me? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie Here, Hi how are you! Help me?

So my kids won a couple of gold fish recently at the state fair. At first I was like oh great how in the world did this happen to me? We bought a 1 gallon Walmart tank and started feeding them. Little did I know I would quickly embrace this idea and now I wanna go bigger and give them a nice home! Especially after I read how big gold fish can actually get!! But I'm a bit confused on what all I need and don't need. I know I need a filter, but how big? Do I need a skimmer? Do I need to make air bubbles? Do I need one of those wave making machines?

Being that I do nothing the easy way I decided not only would we get a bigger tank, but I might as well build it into the wall while I'm at it. Why not right? I built the house so the construction part will not be a challenge.

But here's my dilemma, before I decided on cutting holes in my walls I was originally going to buy a NUVO SR Aquarium - SR-80. I really like this tank because there is a false wall in the back to hide the filter system, heater, and any other gear which gives you a nice clean setup. But now I'm thinking it would be better if the tank could be visible from both rooms that the tank wall is dividing. So if I bought a more traditional tank that was clear on both sides how do people hide all the tubes and cables that go in there? And for an 80 gallon tank what type and size filter should I be looking at? We only plan on having a few fish and I would like to learn to get live plants growing in there some day.

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Believe it or not I've been reading and reading for the past week trying to soak up (lol) as much info as I can online. Before I take the plunge I figured I better start a discussion with the seasoned professionals. Also wanted to introduce myself as I'm sure I will have a million more questions along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Jmay!

Goldfish do not need any additional bubbles - they get oxygen by coming to the surface of the water. Skimmers and wave machines are more for salt water tanks.

Filter wise - with goldfish - I'd recommend getting as large of a filter as you can. I prefer canister filters. Goldfish do have a high bio-load - they are messy. Everyone has their preference but I prefer the Fluval series - but RENA and EHEIM are all great filters.

If you are sticking with goldfish - you should be ok with a large tank and a good filter. If you are looking at starting a tropical community fish tank - you would need to look into a heater. You would need to be careful about what type of fish you add in with the goldfish.

With a traditional setup - most people hide all the hoses and equipment in the cabinet under the tank. That sounds awesome to be able to have a tank being seen from both rooms!! Is there an area you can put an access door for all the equipment? You could have everything on the side of the tank so the long part of the tank is not obstructed.

You also need to consider lighting. With goldfish you should be ok with a regular fixture - but once you go into a planted tank you will need to be more aware of the lighting.

Good luck w/ your new adventure in fish keeping - FYI it can be addictive
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the information. My daughter loves the gold fish so they have to stay! I like the idea of adding a couple more exotic fish with them but I will definately research which fish before I do. I came up with a another question while doing some more reading. I should be working, but don't tell! The thought of humidity came up. Will an 80 gallon tank create a rise in humidity in the house? This tank will be in a 1000 sq. foot room and I live in NM where it is dry most of the time with central AC running. Should I be worried about the possibility of mold growing in side the wall enclosure? Or is the humidity added pretty minimal?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think it'll cause a problem. Just put a lid on the tank.
Also, I suggest you go for the biggest tank you can manage. It can save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Once you get the tank set up and cycled (read up on cycling, please), you can ask in the fish section what you could keep with the goldies. Goldfish are technically cold water fish, which is why you don't give them a heater. It also means that potential tankmates are limited, but you have some options.
The only equipment you need for goldfish:
Large tank
Filter (big filter, preferably. I'd suggest two that are rated for 55 gallons each, if possible.)
Water conditioner
Python water changer (not needed but makes water changes very easy)
A few hiding spots
Maybe gravel for them to mess around in, as goldfish are intelligent and need things to do.

And I just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU! A lot of people wouldn't go to all this trouble for some goldfish their kid won at a fair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

And so it starts...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
And so it starts...
Lol thats what I said the other day!

I've ready about cycling so I am aware of that process. I think I've settled on 80 gallons. 4' wide looks pretty nice. Part of me wants a 6' wide tank but I don't have the wife on board with that. In the mean time I've been replacing about a 25% of the water about once a week with filtered water from the fridge and feeding them a small pinch of food in the morning and at night until I get a solution setup. Is this going to keep them alive?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Welcome to your new paycheck consuming hobby! Haha
I agree with Caza, it's quite addicting. I started over a year ago now and before I knew it I had three tanks, haha.

How big are the goldfish? Also do they have compact fins or long, flowy ones? The biggest things to consider with these tank-mates will be size (will the fish become lunch for the goldfish) and temperament (goldfish are peaceful but their fins can look enticing to nippy, small fish). I suppose the heater or no heater is also a big factor as some fish will require warmer temperatures.

Those two factors will really determine what other fish you can put with the goldfish. If they aren't huge, there are a few fish that come to mind for colder water (if you don't get a heater that is). There are white cloud minnows which should be ok, unless your goldfish are big, in which case the minnows will become lunch. Plecos are a good option for a tank this big. So are most species of loaches. If you decide to get a heater, you open up the land of tropical fish like tetras. Bigger tetras could be nice. At any rate, no aggressive fish like cichlids, they'll probably bully the goldfish and worst case kill them.

As far as filter, I too use canister filters. I like the eheim classics and the api (rena) filstars. They work well and are quiet. I would say use one a size up if you have the room for it under the tank. You can position the outflow and inflow on the same side of the tank, so that you push water around in a circular flow towards the far end and pulled back with the inlet. The other option for such a long tank would be as betta123 suggested, two filters, one at each end of the tank.

Lighting, I like LED lighting, it's gotten cheaper and they are quite energy efficient. For adaptability, T5's are better in most cases as you can swap out bulbs. Then in the future with plants, you can change them out for the plants' needs.

At any rate, do your research early on. It'll be worth it in the end not to have to buy something (like a light) only to have to replace it later when you decide you want something else. Or it'll be worth it to understand the things that go into a planted tank early on as well. Go for adaptability and versatility where possible with pricey equipment like lights or filter(s). And be sure you have fun with it! Haha. It's an exciting hobby to be a part of! Good to get the kid involved too.

Best of luck!

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode