Stocking suggestions for a Mr. Aqua 7.5g cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Stocking suggestions for a Mr. Aqua 7.5g cube

So, I recently set up my Mr. Aqua 7.5 cube after several years out of the game. Hard scape consists of one piece of wood that rises out of the top on the right rear of the tank and a couple of pieces of slate on the left. So far it is planted with 3 variations of anubias (nana, congensis, frazeri) and a couple of small needle leaf javas that will eventually fill in the back. Everything is young and sparse right now. The plan is to eventually have an anubias forest with the java giving some height in the rear.

My thoughts are to go with a school of white clouds (maybe 6) and 4 hasbrosus cory or 4 pygmys.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't seen too many members with the 7.5 on here for inspiration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
White clouds are cool. I've been looking at some rainbow shiners. You might want to check them out as a possible alternative.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I am currently setting up a 7.5 gallon cube as well. Plants and fish should arrive within the week. I chose to go with black bar endlers. But I was also considering a school of ember tetras or chili rasboras. Tank will be heavily planted but I did not want to overstock.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
White clouds are cool. I've been looking at some rainbow shiners. You might want to check them out as a possible alternative.
Those are really neat. I like the cold water fish and I haven't seen these guys before. I'll have to do some more research on them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
I am currently setting up a 7.5 gallon cube as well. Plants and fish should arrive within the week. I chose to go with black bar endlers. But I was also considering a school of ember tetras or chili rasboras. Tank will be heavily planted but I did not want to overstock.
Both of these little guys were in the running. I like that the chili rasboras are from somewhat stagnant waters. That makes water parameters a little less critical. A small tank and small inhabitants can be tricky at times.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
I wouldn't suggest rainbow shiners for a 7.5g. I googled them, and they get 5-8 cm long, which seems a touch large for that size tank. Also, the shiners I've seen are VERY active, too active for anything but a larger tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
A small tank and small inhabitants can be tricky at times.
How so? I have never kept such a small tank before, but figured that a smaller fish would be appropriate.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
How so? I have never kept such a small tank before, but figured that a smaller fish would be appropriate.
It's just a case of small tank equals small volume of water, instabilities, parameters swings ect happen much faster in a smaller volume of water
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dario Dario and sparkling gouramis

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp87 View Post
It's just a case of small tank equals small volume of water, instabilities, parameters swings ect happen much faster in a smaller volume of water
I think that comes down to filtration, stock and maint. I have a 55g and 29g that require more work to keep "correct" than my 10 and 8.7g dirt tanks that require maybe a water change once a month but are always stable.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp87 View Post
Exactly what I meant. I know some people never have fewer issues than others, but I want to err on the side of caution.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 8 gallon with 3 bumble bee goby and 3 sparkling gourami's. You could also do small rainbows. That a would be smallest I would go for cory's. Just not a lot of bottom area for very many.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided on the white clouds. I got 9 and I think that's all I'm going to put in this one. I have a 75 gallon reef ready tank I plan to set up in the next couple of months. I have a lot of work to do planning that one out and building a stand. I thinking rainbows for that one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode