Need suggestions on what to do with 45 Tall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Need suggestions on what to do with 45 Tall

Okay, so I've had this tank in my garage for over a year now, and due to unforeseen circumstances, I've been unable to do anything with it before now. At any rate, I am moving into a new house in 3 short weeks, and once I move in, my brother will help me build a stand and canopy for it so I can finally turn it into something!

It's a 45g tall. That means it's 3ft by 1ft footprint, and something like 25" tall. So it's rather long and skinny, and tall (kinda like me!). Due to obvious reasons, regarding the footprint, this is not the easiest tank in the world to aquascape. So I am appealing to all of my brethren and sistren here at the Planted Tank...

...What should I do with this tank? I was thinking about making it an angel tank, but once they got big enough I would only be able to have a pair in there, so that might not be the best choice. I was thinking of also trying to make it a 2-sided tank, since the floorplan at my new place has the dining room and living room running right into each other, so I was thinking I could set the tank up as a "partition" of sorts. But the tank is so skinny I don't know how feasible that is, creating depth from both sides. If I put it up against the wall, though, and do a typical front-view-only type of scape, I would probably have more options.

I don't know, can anyone offer me any suggestions, advice, photos, anecdotes, etc., about similar sized tanks you or your friend(s) have owned or setup?

I just don't know what to do with this tank, and I have to admit, I like the idea of having a tall tank! It just sucks that it's so skinny. I was probably going to just go with a pair of those infamous Coralife 2x18 t5 fixtures. That would be 72w, on a tall tank, so hopefully I could do this low-tech like, with no CO2.

Thanks in advance. I really need some help here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
its hard to make a tank have depth from 3 sides (since you would need to see it from the dining room, kitchen, and passage inbetween). i did it with my 20L, but it has a larger footprint comparing to the height.
the best way i can think of for your tank is to make it an iwagumi with willow moss. i would basically make a thin layer of gravel and a bunch of rocks and cover most with moss. that would make it look very hilly with a few rocky ridges sticking out of it. like the one in nature aquarium world II (the one with small tanks), only bigger.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Are you talking about the tank on pages 20-21?

I'm ok with that idea, and I like the fact that it favors a low-light setup, but I worry that I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the height of the tank. I was thinking it could involve some branchy driftwood that comes up and outward from the sides of the tank, utlizing the full height. And it could be covered in moss, or anubias, or whatever. I still need some more ideas. Thanks, @[email protected]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have the same tank, and the lack of depth is very frustrating! I was originally planning on making it a saltwater tank, but decided against it. I have a Nova Extreme strip light, with (4) 39w t-5's, but I am only going to use two of them, possibly three. I am using a thin layer of Tahitian Moon Sand, with lots of lava rocks. As for plants, I am going to have jungle vals in the background, fissidens & subwassertang on the rocks, and guppy grass free floating in the tank. Eventually the guppy grass will take over and cover the top half of the tank, so I think it will look nice. The guppy grass will also help to suck up any excess nutrients to prevent algae, since it grows so fast. Good luck, and let me know if you find any other plants that will work well.

Morgan

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
oh, well you just gave me an idea.

you could try to setup the driftwood branches so they look like a tree, but a slanty tree starting from a bit next to the side near the wall, and then ending a bit past the center. use anubias petites on the tree as leaves (you would need a LOT). and have the ground covered in a hilly moss carpet (looks so much better when its hilly IMO).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump? I could use some more ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

(If it's not too much trouble, you who are reading this, maybe you could post up a few pictures of some example aquascapes with these similar dimensions? This not only goes for 45T tanks, but could apply to 37T tanks, 30L tanks, etc. Anything with that 12" depth. Thanks!)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another bump?

Okay, so I've at least narrowed it down this much: I want to make it an all shrimp tank. So, as of now, what I'm thinking is I can make it rocky on the bottom, for "hills", and I can carpet it all in moss. Then I could get some branchy driftwood and pile it all up on one side of the tank so that it branches out, upward and over towards the other side of the tank. The wood could also be covered in moss, maybe a different kind though?

So, I don't know, maybe it would be an all-moss tank, or mostly moss? And then I want to just fill it with shrimp. I want to focus on tiger shrimp, but I would like to also have other species in there too, if I can (ones that won't interbreed with the tigers).

But I still want to hear from other people, too. Please give me some ideas! I just want to hear what other people do (or think about doing) with these skinny tanks. Please? I'll be your best friend?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send it to me I'll pay the shipping

What about a hair grass carpet/floor. Then use stones to build a "pyramid" of sorts in the center of the tank. You can use different mosses and small pieces of driftwood to add character to your rubble mound. Then on the backside, you could use some plastic mesh to create a moss wall.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:26 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That size aquarium would lend itself to some tall driftwood with plants attached to the lower AND upper part of the branches. You're going to have to fill at least part of the upper portion of the aquarium up or it's going to look silly so you need something with height.

You could even get some long pieces of manzanita branches and have them poking out of some rocks at the bottom of the tank with plants bunched around the base. I really like twisty manzanita it looks very sculptural. To get an idea of what that would look like click here.

Sounds like a neat tank actually, with all that water and such a small footprint. It would be ideal for a condo or appartment. (I'm always on the lookout for big tanks with small footprints that can fit in hallways etc)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I have a 30L (36"x12"x18 high), and even that doesn't work well for a 'typical' planted tank given how long and skinny it is. Your tank simply magnifies the problem.

If I were to use it, I'd get some big flat (almost two dimensional) driftwood to fill up a 'plane' in the aquarium, do a 'triangle' layout with Crypt. retrospiralis in the back corner, smaller crypts in front and to the side of the retrospiralis, add val. nana or spiralis, moss on the driftwood and call it a day. No foreground. Natural (multicolored earth tones if you know what I mean) fine pea gravel for the substrate.

Really though, I'd ditch that tank on craigslist and get one better suited to a planted tank like a 40-breeder. This is what I'm ultimately doing with my 30L....I'm just sick and tired of it's shape.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

First of all, thanks guys, for chiming in.

I like the ideas, so keep them coming, please. Macclellan, it's funny you mention the 40 breeder, because I already plan on getting one of those next. I'm just waiting for the next dollar-a-gallon sale to get one! But I really want to keep this tank, and just do something with it. Like Brette said, I just like the fact that I can actually keep it in a tight space, like a hallway, because of how little room it takes up away from the wall.

The "condo" idea pretty much fits with what I'm imagining... building vertically in the scape. I'm really liking the no foreground idea, too!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was just going to suggest a triangle layout too.

However, given the height, I think you can do very well with a foreground of E. tenellus, no matter how tall it gets, in fact, the taller the better. You can pile wood and stone high behind it--very high, maybe over a couple thick slices of slate, or a phone book--, and try Lava Fern on that, Sparrow or Fiddle leaf vars (just being silly). Some Lucens crypts by the sides. Anything that is long, thin and pointy. Some Eleocharis vivipara in a well chosen spot.

The back, which would be the tall part of the triangle, allows for some intrepid use of tall plants, maybe Crinum, long leaved crypts, even Val, nana preferably.

The trouble (I find) with narrow tanks is to choose more vertical growers that are not stems. Since most stems make some sort of cylinder shape each, I feel they draw focus back into width. Stargrass might be one exception.

If you use manzanita, I'd advice (my taste) not attaching moss or fern on the upper sides.

Good you want to keep the tank, fearless aquascaper.

Cheers

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Going with a layout like Brette posted would be very nice as a divider. Simple but elegant. You might even try a tall large center piece plant on the right side. If you did another fish, you could have a school and the shrimp. Rainbows would devor the shrimp.

John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode