Newby here! Need some advice please :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Newby here! Need some advice please :)

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but not new to the hobby. I have been an avid marine aquarist for the last 17 years. I have now decided to venture off into some new territory here and I would like some advice..

I have a 40g breeder tank with 2 dimmable LED lights that I want to turn into a planted aquarium (without dosing CO2) and eventually adding 2 discus fish.
I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to stock this tank. I did order 3 bags of eco-complete sand and I have drift wood and petrified wood for basic decor.
I won't be adding the discus until my tank is fully broke in and stable, but I would like to know what kind of fish I can add (after the cycle, of course) that will go good with discus and are colorful. I am talking top, middle and bottom feeders and I would also like some ideas on low maintenance plants that do not require the CO2 dosing.

Anything you guys care to share with me is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here is a list of low light plants. Most of them will likely work, though I would look up the temp ranges on the plants...as discus tanks run a little warm..80-82 degrees.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56042

Tetras! Neon, Black, Rasbora...etc. They can handle the heat and school well.

FYI, 2 discus isn't a great idea. You need a small herd, 5-6 at least. They like to set up a pecking order of sorts, the order doesn't work well with just two...unless you get a mated pair. With 5-6 in a 40 things can get crowded for them.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I would suggest a larger tank or a different centerpiece fish.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on getting a mated pair for my tank. I would get more, but the get pretty large and there will not be enough room.
Thank you for your response.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ahh, got ya! That will work...check out sone of the stuff DiscusPaul has written on here regarding Discus and planted tanks. He is one of our goto frisbee fish guys.

Anyways, I think Discus go well with almost any Tetras.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I suggest a lot of straight up and down plants like Valisneria. I wouldn't stuff the tank with plants too much, even though I believe lots of plants are good for each other. Definitely enough to provide 3D and break up the scenery, though.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

Tags
discus, eco-complete planted, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode