Hi! I'm new and looking for plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi! I'm new and looking for plants

Hi everybody! I'm Cindy and i'm new to the site!

My 7ry old son and I love keeping fish and have been for a few yrs now but we are wanting to get live plants. The problem is out of 3 lfs i've found only 1 plant. I had no idea plants were gonna be 7 bucks a piece and be next to impossible to find here.

So I guess my question is can you reccommend a good inexpensive trustworthy place or person to get low light plants from? I will probably have to wait a couple weeks to get some?

And can you reccommend any low light plants?

We have a 20 gal w/a molly, noens, clown pleco, oto cat. 10 gal w/a molly. 5 gal w/beta!

I had no idea he'd get so excited about planting our tanks and then not be able to get the stuff to do it.

Any help would be very very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Welcome to Planted Tank!

As for low light plants, check out this sticky in the low tech forum:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...ht-plants.html.

As for where to get them, you can't do better IMHO than the many nice folks on the swap-n-shop forum.

I would also advise searching the forums for light, substrata, low-tech, for some background to help you with your planted tank. A good link to start with is here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ks-search.html

Good Luck!
James

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hi Cindy, welcome to TPT! A great place to look for plants is in the Swap n Shop forum on this site, you'll get a lot more plants for a lot less $ and you can get a large variety. Some good low light plants are Anubias, Cryptocorynes (crypts), Wisteria (hygrophila difformis), mosses, java ferns, and others. There's a sticky at the top of the low light forum that has an amazing (and long) list of low light plants!

To get more specific ideas of what you might be able to grow in each of your tanks, a list of the specs (especially the lighting) on each of your tanks would be really helpful!

you can find the Swap n Shop (Sns) here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/

and the Low Light sticky thread here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...ht-plants.html (it's a really long thread, you can skip to the end for the most recent list if you want )

good luck!

*edit* Ninja'd by JRB77!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the Planted Tank! I don't have much else to add, as the posts before mine point you in the right direction. I just want to echo that the swap n shop is the best place to get your plants from. Obviously, be careful about ordering plants from just anyone, but you can check people's PTrader points, right under their screen name, and see if they have a history of making people happy.

One thing you can do is just post a thread in the swap n shop just simply asking for a "low-light plant package." That way people can potentially put together a starter pkg for you. Congratulations on your son's interest in the hobby!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh good point church! I meant to mention that as well, that starting a thread of your saying you're looking for low light plants or a low light plant package would be a good idea!

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you all very much for your help!!!

I think what I want are:
Java moss
Java fern
Hornwort
Anubias

What might work best for us since we are just starting out are the ones that don't have to be directly planted and can be tied to something. Once we master those maybe move on to some swords.

I have low lights on all 3 tanks and have been trying to research for awhile on plants but just haven't had good luck at all locally trying to find them. And they are very expensive.

When i'm able to afford some plants I will deffinately post to the shop n swap area!! Not easy on divorced single moms budget but we'll get there.

My son does love our fish and has com up with some quite odd names for our fish. For example our Betta's name is Meatball! Go figure!

Thanks everybody and if you have any more suggestions for low light plants that don't have to be directly planted in the substrate that would be great!!!! That's the best list i've seen yet but just doesn't tell the planting method. Samy way as plant geek it doesn't tell the planting method either.

Take care!

Cindy
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure about hornwort but the other 3 can be tied down, i've never done it but heard crypts can be tied down as well. Some stem plants can be floated, or they can be (Easily) stuck into the substrate. But if you don't want to plant in the substrate, then i think anubias, java fern and mosses are your best bet. As for the $$ I understand being on a budget, I'm a recent college gracd trying to save up for grad school next fall, but you'll find some really fair prices in the swap n shop! I've frequently found large plant packages for $20 or less for a variety of plants from one person selling, so it would probably your best bet for a good and affordable place to start!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think hortwort can be floated and someone on fish lore posted that it didn't have roots so I was hoping that could be tied to a rock. I was hoping that could be the tall plant in the tank.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can I ask: what's the reasoning behind opting NOT to use any stem plants? I think most people would agree that there are a handful of stem plants that are virtually indestructible and therefore ideal for beginners. The ones that come to mind are Hygrophila corymbosa, Hygrophila difformis (aka Wisteria), and Rotala rotundifolia.

I was just curious, that's all.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just thought it would be easier to clean the tank better so that I wouldn't have do disturb the roots and could move things around easier when we want to change decor and to not have to use root tabs as well.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fair enough. I've personally never had a problem with uprooting the aforementioned plants when/if I wanted to re-arrange... it was pretty much a non-issue. But I understand your reasoning. I will echo Karackle, then, in saying that mosses, anubias, and also ferns (bolbitis, java fern, etc) will be your best bet.

Happy plantings!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I guess trying to stay as simple as possible for now. But I'm definately thinking maybe you could reccommend one that would be taller that we could maybe stick in the corner and just leave there?

I'd be willing to give one a try.

Thanks again. I must say that in going thru some of the planted tank journals i'm quite intimidated and definately want to stay pretty simple. OMG so many beautiful tanks!!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
I just thought it would be easier to clean the tank better so that I wouldn't have do disturb the roots and could move things around easier when we want to change decor and to not have to use root tabs as well.
A lot of us don't do any real "cleaning" of the substrate in our planted tanks. In a non planted tank it was a real necessity to clean the bottom but not so much in a planted tank. Stem plants are also for the most part, VERY forgiving. You want to rescape, pull them up and put them back in. I have some stems that I have to trim weekly and some of these I pull up, wack off the bottom and plant again, by the next weeks trimming they are re-rooted. My point is, don't let them imtimidate you. Some are quite easy. Another big benefit.........on a budget - you can trim a stem plant and replant the top getting a 2nd plant out of it.

With most stems, root tabs are not necessary. A little liquid fert and you are good to go.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You all are opening my eyes! Would a sword be one of those types? I'm looking for something tall. I'm getting excited along with Matthew my son, but the waithing stinks.

One other thing I learned is that i'll need to get plants if they are shipped soon because of the weather! Maybe i'll do good on ebay and be able to get plants sooner. We'll see.

Let me know what you reccommend.

Thanks!! Really starting to love this place!! And all the nice people!

Oh and Church, I love your avatar kitty!! I have 3 persians
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
Would a sword be one of those types? I'm looking for something tall.
One other thing I learned is that i'll need to get plants if they are shipped soon because of the weather! Maybe i'll do good on ebay and be able to get plants sooner.
Swords don't really fit the bill. They are not stem plants, develope a very big root system and aren't easily moved and really benefit from root tabs.

My advice would be the same as several others have made. Don't go with Ebay. Use the swap and shop here. Post a message in the swap and shop that you are looking for a starter package for a 20 gallon tank for your son ( a little emotion never hurts) and see what kind of responses you get. You may come away with a really nice package under $25 inculding shipping. Give it a shot.https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode