Uneaten food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Uneaten food

What lengths to folks go to to clean up/remove uneaten food from a heavily planted aquarium??
I've just planted some tissue culture swords along the front of my tank, and there's no way I can siphon across them....
I haven't introduced any bottom feeders to my tank yet, hopefully they'll help to keep the place clean.... If you use bottom-feeders, what do you recommend? (40g tank)
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't take any pains removing waste from the bottom for I have too many trumpet snails,Amano shrimp,Cherry shrimp, Plecos.
Problem is..all these critter's produce waste as well.
I use moderate to strong flow through the filter's to help keep particulates in the water column longer so that the filter catches more.
I also service the filter's each month ,and perform weekly 50 to 60 % water changes.
Plant's can use the waste on the bottom for fuel for growth, but it need's to be broke down a bit .
I remove damaged leaves from plant's for they are not likely to get better and this makes way for new leaves to sprout and nutrient's not wasted on trying to repair damaged leaves.
Not many other leaves lay about for long due to the afore mentioned critter's.
If you start to see mold growing on uneaten food,or growing black tuft's of algae on the décor and or substrate,,then your prolly feeding too much organic's into closed glass box of water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Feed less.
Or drop the food in over several minutes. Tiny pinch.... Tiny pinch.... so the fish can eat it on the way down.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
none, zero, zilch. when the lights go out, the hundreds of snails hiding in your tank will come out and devour it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Snails and cory cats keep my tank spotless in terms of left over food. There is a small corner of the tank thats heavily planted where the current is slowest and thats where all the fish poop and dead plant debris that the filter or circulation pump miss ends up. When i do a water change i siphon over it and it comes right up.

As long as you like snails and have your nitrates in check don't worry about over feeding or left over food.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode