Need ideas for 10 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Need ideas for 10 Gallon

This is what it looks like at the moment, The HC is dead and has been removed. So there is just a lava rock and substrate.

Should I just get rid of the Lava rock, and get some whitish stones from a local beach (Those are nice and box/trianglural since they were put there to slow down erosion - so all are transplanted there from some where, all are similar in shape etc) I have lots and lots of substrate left over (only used 10% of the bag)

What should I plant, initially I wanted a mono-planted aquariam with Just HC and Just neon tetras. But I dont think that will work out

Need ideas! THANKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
What is the substrate? Also, its difficult to suggest you using the local white rocks from the beach, without a photo of them. In general, white rocks end up looking kind of scummy as they get covered with algae/diatoms/etc.

I think your hardscape needs vertical height. Either taller rocks or driftwood or something. You can still go with the monoplant look you were hoping for, if you try a different ground cover. You dont provide details on lighting, substrate, or whether you plan on dosing CO2/ferts, so it's hard to say, but there are a lot of groundcovers available, most of which are discussed at length on this site.

There's no reason you can't go with your original idea, with some alterations.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Agreed, more info on your lighting and other parameters would be helpful, and then new carpeting options can be suggested

the other thing is it looks like your substrate is Schultz Aquatic soil, if so, did you add / are you adding any fertz? Because schultz by itself has no nutrient content, so that itself could possibly have caused your HC problems if you didn't enrich the substrate at all. If you did, then I suppose that's not your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

I also agree it'd look better with some more vertical height in the hardscape

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

FrostyNYC - YES! verticalness is needed, but I dont know what else to put in their that would go with the lava rock.

Karackle - Yup thats Schultz arite, I have been soaking it in triple concentration generic ferts, so hopefully its absorbed some of it!

so what would go with the lava rock? since one piece of driftwood and one lava rock in a 10 gallon tank = lame....

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
take out the schultz, get some dark substrate. you and your fish will thank you. :p
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could do like a mini grand canyon look =], It would put some of that extra substrate to work but at the same time take up a lot of swimming room.

If you like the idea....
I'd approach it somewhat like this:

Step 1: Use some extra substrate to make a 35-45 degree incline from the middle to both left and right.

Step 2: Make ledges and canyons with rocks (like your lava rocks) or petrified wood!

Step 3: (optional) Find some blue or white sand and make a river through the canyon middle.

Step 4: Find aquatic plants that slightly resemble cactus' and other desert plants. Plant these in every nook and cranny.

Step 5: Sit back and admire your work while knowing you are the only one with a mini underwater version of the GrandCanyon =]

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have never been to the Grand Canyon then google some pictures to get an idea of the steepness of the ledges.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Chris127 - Dont have the money, I owe my school 30,000$ lol plus the subs will be covered with HC anywys so no one will know the color of the substrate (hopefully)

Mikep123 - thats a good idea, I think I will break the lava rock into two, and place them in the center of the tank, so two walls facing each other, and then have the substrate angling towards the right and left at something like 35 degrees!

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode