10 gallon tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon tank questions

I am looking into messing around with a 10 gallon tank for fun. Probably mainly a shrimp tank with 4-5 tetras in it just for some variety. But naturally I could not set up a tank without plants so I have some questions...

This is a small tank only 20" wide. The only T-5 light I saw online was 18" wide but it was 40 watts. That puts me at 4 Watts per gallon. I was hoping to just substitute Excel or a DIY CO2 for the small tank. Would dosing with Excel be sufficient if I am slamming the tank with 4 Watts per gallon? If not, what kind of light would you recommend for such a small tank?

Just looking for ideas to get started. Trying to start off inexpensive, I have dropped enough $$$ into the big tank.

Thanks !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im sure a DIY c02 would work for the 10g, I have a 40W light on mine and not doing any co2 and things are still growing. I'm going to start dosing Excel soon though.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
You could just opt for one of the standard hoods for the 10 gallon. Walmart sells the type that fits two screw-in CF bulbs. While the light is not as appealing or even as T5, you wouldnt need ferts or CO2 persay. In a shrimp tank with mosses and easy plants, that'd work.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to mynameisjonah
I have a 10 gal fairly heavily planted with fairly high light plants, to low light plants, all under the 28 watt coralife fixture with the freshwater planted bulbs. i dose the seachem line, including excel. everything is doing great.

Don't strive for perfection initially, but do enough research so you feel comfortable with your choices. Don't trust chain pet stores, and do your own research!

10 gallon open top betta bachelor pad.

Tags
what lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode