whats the best way to deal with calcium deficiency?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
whats the best way to deal with calcium deficiency?!

what do I add to my tank? i see curling leaves and all my mts are dead and their tips of the shell is not pointed but eroded away. like a stump.

calcium deficiency right?

how do i add more calcium? dry fert or something else?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Lots of ways to do it. When it's been a problem in my tanks I've found the easiest method was to toss in a small chunk of cuttlebone--easily found at any pet store carrying bird supplies. Snails will graze on it and it'll dissolve into the water. I also feed my snails spinach and kale on a regular basis; both contain high natural calcium levels.

You can also get calcium supplemented prepared foods and powdered calcium. Some folks crush coral or sea shells to add to the tank, but it's not been my experience that they break down readily enough to be all that useful.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Test the GH in the water.
GH is a combination of Calcium and Magnesium.
If it is any lower than about 3 German degrees of hardness, then there is likely a deficiency.

Also, get a fresh water Ca test. Look up the formula and you can tell how much of the GH is Mg and how much is Ca. (the formula is not simply GH - Ca = Mg)
It should be pretty close to a ratio of 4 parts Ca to 1 part Mg.
If is it not, then supplement with Calcium chloride to raise the Ca or with Epsom salt to raise the Mg.
If both Ca and Mg are too low (GH under 3 degrees) then use GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium to raise both.

Next, what is the pH in this tank?
Acidic water will erode snail shells. pH should be about neutral or more alkaline (about high 6s on up) for snails.
You can control the pH by controlling the carbonate levels.
If the pH is too low, then raise the KH and this ought to raise the pH.
Also, look into what is keeping the pH so low, and fix that.
Decomposing organic matter, tannins and other organic acids from driftwood and CO2 are the biggest things that lower the pH in an aquarium. Water changes to remove the fallen leaves and tannins will help. Replacement water should have GH and KH where you want the tank to be to begin correcting it in that direction.

If the tank is being run for fish that thrive in soft, acidic water then you do not want to raise the GH, KH or pH. So do not keep snails in this tank, and remove plants that are showing deficiencies in this water.
Soft water fish can usually handle GH of up to 3 degrees, and a degree or two of KH. This would keep the pH in the low to mid 6s. This is probably not enough to keep MTS shells intact, but should be enough to prevent Ca deficiency in the plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode