A tank at work cracked..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
A tank at work cracked.....

So...At my work (a LFS) we are currently setting up yet another saltwater tank for large fish. It's a 240, 8 feet, by 2 feet, by 2 feet. It was filled with water (no salt yet), sand, and rock. The tank was not yet filled with fish, as we were still setting up the filteration. So, basically, it wa just sitting there with water.

Today, we were all helping costumers, when all of a sudden, POOF!!!, the whole back seal on the bottom broke, and within 3 minutes, all the water in the tank was on the floor

The floors havn't been cleaner in 15 years , and my feet havn't been dry in 6 hours.

Sorry...no pics...I was too busy trying to "catch" water in 5 gallon buckets. (we saved 50 gallons from getting on the floor )

So...What are your worst leaking tank stories?

65 gallon low tech planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
I was at work (only 8 mins away at the time) when my mom called all crazy, and told me to get home ASAP, a tank is leaking...I get home and my 24g nano cube split at the right seam(the curved glass split right in the middle of the right radius edge, only leaked half of it out by the time I was home, but the SW went through the carpet, and floor into my dads office, and a little to the basement ceiling. All fish were A-OK!

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbguy1 View Post
So...At my work (a LFS)
I live in SE Michigan. Just being curious....where do you work?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
www.keesaquarium.com

^^There...you should stop on sometime. We just got in some sweet plants. Hygrophila balsamica (just bought some for my 29 ), Bacopa australis, Hygrophila difformis, Anubia barteri 'narrow leaf nana', Anubia lancelota, and some swordplants (red rubins, melons, and amazons)

65 gallon low tech planted
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I had just finished scaping and cycling my new 29g tank. Because I was working on the tank, I always kept the water about an inch or two low so it was time to fill it up all the way.

A few hours later, I'm sitting on the couch, fiddling on my computer when I suddenly hear a huge pop sound. Next thing I knew, water was gushing out everywhere! All sides of the tank had water coming out like a waterfall! It was getting all over the walls, the carpet, the nearby furniture, some books I had placed on the shelf below the tank, everywhere!

I unplugged the main plug as fast as I could, ran to get my python going, and while that was working, I grabbed my water absorbing mats. I caught my one fish in the tank, my flash pleco, and moved him to another tank. It was only a matter of 1-2 minutes before the entire tank was empty.

I finally discovered that the back glass had cracked from top to bottom in an arch.

To this day, the thought of my 75g cracking has me spooked!

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
A second disaster was just barely avoided.

I'm sitting in my apartment, not a sound to be heard other than my fingers typing on the computer. No TV, no music, no nothing.

Then I hear a loud pop noise.

I think to myself, "what was that?" but then go back to what I was doing.

Then, pop!

I turn around to look, but there's nothing to see. I try to convince myself it's a noise from outside my apartment even though I knew that wasn't true. Maybe the building is settling?

And then another pop!

This time denial didn't work so I got up to look around. That's when I discovered that the popping noises was caused by the counter breaking away from the wall. I had a 5g tank in that location for 6 months, and I guess it just couldn't hold it any longer!

Fortunately, I was able to drain the water and move the tank before the counter complete broke. I have flowers in that spot now.

Lesson learned. When putting even a 5g tank somewhere, make darn sure the counter is properly supported!

Thankfully, I was home to hear the popping sounds before the entire counter broke, tossing my tank, plants, fish and all crashing to the floor!

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 AM

PTrader: (2/75%)
About 10 years ago i was installing a 300 gallon SW tank in a very nice house with my mom's friend who installs aquariums. We just filled it up and placed the rocks and hard corals in the tank and was cleaning up the area and the bottom blew out and water went everywhere in about 25 seconds. Needless to say the insurance company was not happy. The room was pretty much empty though, as it was a renovation not quite finished.

Stevie D
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NoObLet
i have a bunk bed in my room and my ladder was standing up straight on the side of the bed and my cat tipped it over.

PayPal Verified
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoObLet View Post
i have a bunk bed in my room and my ladder was standing up straight on the side of the bed and my cat tipped it over.
did you kill the cat?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
About 6 months ago, I set up a new acrylic 8 gallon freshwater tank at work. I work in your typical corporate America grey cubicle office set up.
I set the tank up using a Toms Rapid mini canister filter. BIG mistake...

I came in to work the next morning and the filter sprung a leak and about 1/3 of the tank water had leaked out.
The cubicle wall closest to the tank was 1/2 soaked with water.
The night cleaning crew (thank goodness for their help!) littered the area around the tank with paper towels to soak up the leaking water.

Needless to say, I was so embarassed and worried that I'd have to break down the tank and take it home.

Luckily, nobody really noticed or cared.

I still have the tank at work and lots of people come by my cube just to see the tank

member of
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
sleeping in bed at about 4 am i notice my HOB filter making quite a splashing noise turn on the light and about 5 gallons had already leaked out of my 40 gallon breeder.
A "quick" tear down resulted in almost zero damage but that tank was leaking so fast I am sure it would have been empty in two hours.
Thank god I was home!!!
Sometimes I am gone for days.
I live a life on edge because of the fear of another tank going.
I even bought a plastic koi tube to house some of my fish in because it can't leak...but now i cant watch some of my fish
For the first time in my life I wish my apartment was a basement LOL!

under stock
over filter
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Andrew, are they going to fix the tank, or give it to you for free? heh

Well, I've never really had a tank leak *knocks on everything wood*. I have had filters get over-filled with water and leak, but nothing major *wood again*. Besides that, I had a cat that liked to drink from the fish tanks and water would find its way all over the desk, behind the background, etc. Guess he was swatting at the fish or something

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode