does this dosing method sound okay? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
does this dosing method sound okay?

i came up with this dosing method but im a total newb at dosing dry ferts so i want to run this by the pros for approval...

each fert will be dilluted in 3 cups of water

3tsps of kh2po4, csm+b, k2so4 in 3 cups of water (each in their own bottle)
12tsps of kno3 in 3 cups of water

so 48 doses per bottle. is that solution okay?

each fert dosed 2x a week except csm+b which is 3x a week

and the schedule... please tell me if it sounds good or if i have totally screwed up somewhere

Last edited by chase127; 10-06-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

anyone?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

did i post this in the right spot?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
OK i'll take a crack at this.

The mixes sound fine. You probably want to keep stuff in the fridge especially the CSM+B if they are going to be around that long.

As for the schedule... why are you making your own? My understanding of EI was that you replace what your plants will use in every two days so it keeps a nice evenish level of nutrients in the tank with a restart of anything that might have gotten too high at the end of the week.

Your schedule has rather uneven days of nutrients. If we look at the K2SO4 you start your week with a normal dose for a tank that size. A day passes and the plants use up what they will then Wed they get another dose of K2SO4. So far everything is going fine and the same as EI. As the week then progresses no more K2SO4 is added and it becomes the limiting factor in the equation. While you are still adding KNO3 and CSM+B the plants ability to use those nutrients is limited. Then bam algae starts taking up those nutrients. Granted some will argue K2SO4 is not actually needed and you can get enough K from other sources but my point is still the same. You will have highly fluctuating nutrient levels that may lend it self well to algae growth.

I'm not saying it can't work I just think that things would need to be adjusted. Take the KNO3. Fish produce this. You have it scheduled for the last day before your water change when the natural nitrate from fish will also be at its highest. This would be one of the fist things I would be adding to the tank after a change if I felt my tanks needed more not one of the last.

If any of this sounds like I am talking down to you or being rude I apologize thats not my intention.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would have to agree, why are you changing the EI schedule? Also, isn't there a reason the trace (CSM+B) is dosed by itself?

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
I would have to agree, why are you changing the EI schedule? Also, isn't there a reason the trace (CSM+B) is dosed by itself?
I think potentially some minerals have the ability to precipitate when combined with other things. I believe K2PO4 does this too. Personally I add all my mixes to the tank at the same time and I haven't seen anything like this happen. I wouldn't combine them before hand though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

thank you for replying! as you can see, i dont know what i am doing, and i need help. my plan was just laying everything out so that a fert was dosed every day(except water change day), and not two times in a row. i can take your criticism fine, im learning

i read a bit more on ei, and it says
"1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 3-4x a week (every other day)
1/16th-1/32nd teaspoon of KH2PO4 3-4x a week (every other day)
Traces added on off days as the macro nutrients, so 3x a week" (from barr report)

it doesnt mention k2s04 at all.

so should i add k2so4 to friday and move kno3 to sunday?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would just do the standard EI method. Dose MWF macros and trace if you wish. Or just macros MWF and dose trace the other days. Your schedule seems to be to irregular for my liking and I think it would cause algae. You can always try it and see though.

K2SO4 seems to be unnecessary in some peoples opinions and I think it might true if you dose full amounts of KH2PO4 and KNO3. I haven't cared to do the math because I don't dose KNO3 very often. So I choose to dose K2SO4. It also depends on how much your plants will be using. If its lower light and less co2 you will probably be fine with out it. If high light and high co2 it might be more important to add.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode