Why are my plants stunted? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are my plants stunted?

I have a 29gal that I cannot seem to grow plants in anymore. I've had the tank about 5 years. When I first got it, they grew really good. I know part of it was the water where I lived...in Nebraska, I would dump the tap water(well water) straight in the tank and everything would grow great....I left for college for a few years and it went to well.....

Now I'm in Az and trying to get this tank going again. I am getting very little growth though. To start off, i bought a bunch of plants from AZ Gardens(easy plants). I was fighting green water for a while so I did some blackouts. I finally just broke down and got a uz sterilizer(cheap petsmart piece) and got the tank pretty cleared up. Most of my plants took a pretty big hit from the blackouts, so I bought some Hygro Corymbosa to help out. The only plants that are really even growing decent are 2 out of 3 stalks of hygro I bought. The other plants are kinda scragly. Even the easy plants Hygro polysperma, Water Wisteria, Rotala Indica, aren't growing much.

Notice the curling leaf on the Corymbosa coming in

Wrinkled leaves on alternanthera, and poor growth on Rotala Indica

29gal, 2 55 watt CF 6400/6700, Pressurized Co2/Diy diffusor C02 reaching 30ppm

Today water was Ph 6.8, KH 5, GH 6

Don't know my traces really....tested at the LFS last week and all they said was my Phosphates were high...which makes sense....ie Green Water

I use DI/RO water and do weekly water changes

Fish: 3 Marigold Variatus Platy(added 4 cycling) & some babies, 2 SAE's, 2 Ottos

Plants Hygro Polysperma (Sunset), Hygro Corymbosa, Rotala Indica, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag, Didiplis Diandra, Heteranthera Zosterfolia, Alternanthera Red, Crypt Wendtii, Java Fern, Anubias Nana

Plants are growing, but coming in with small leaves....Dwarf sag is spreading but new plants start of looking kinda clear and veiny. Some leaves like on the the H. Corymbosa are coming in with curved edges.

Please help me out....I'm moving soon and need to get these plants healthy.

Thanks,
Myles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and I'm adding dry fertilizers I had from before. One is white and powdery, and the other is little light brown beads I've been adding 1 tablespoon of each twice a week. I'm also adding Flourish. I think these were 4 potassium and iron if I remember right...please let me know what they are, and if I'm dosing them right. K2S04 or something like that I thought.

Substrate is mainly Flourite with gravel mixed on the top.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
you need to know what you are dosing...I would guess one is plantex and the other no idea. Just get a new pack of ferts and follow EI

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation_04 View Post
Oh, and I'm adding dry fertilizers I had from before. One is white and powdery, and the other is little light brown beads I've been adding 1 tablespoon of each twice a week. I'm also adding Flourish. I think these were 4 potassium and iron if I remember right...please let me know what they are, and if I'm dosing them right. K2S04 or something like that I thought.

Substrate is mainly Flourite with gravel mixed on the top.
If you don't know what you're dosing in the tank, then I wouldn't. K2SO4 should be a white powder, but there are lots of white powders out there...

Anyway, I'd start off by getting your dosing straight, EI method since you're comfortable with dry ferts. That, plus giving the filter a good cleaning, and making sure the tank is clean inside as well, is a good place to start. I had a stunting problem a while back, and it was due to trace amounts of ammonia from an overstocked tank and a dirty filter.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Im no expert...but I would try going down to just 1 55w (maybe a midday burst with the other 55w) 8hrs/day just to slow it down a bit so you can get a handle on the dosing (ie NPK, traces)
Also the DI might be stripping out too much, try just use the RO before the DI cartdrige.

55g High Tech- Finnex Planted+ LED, Fluval 305 canister filter, Penguin 350 HOB filter, pressurized 10# CO2 w/GLA Atomic CO2 Diffuser, Hydor Koralia Nano 565 Circ. pump, Dry fert EI dosing.

10g Low Tech- Nicrew LED, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter, Seachem Excel, minimum dry fert EI dosing.

SHUTDOWN 5/2016(36x18x16)Med Tech - 96w PC strip light, pressurized 10# CO2 w/powerhead injection, Dry fert EI dosing, Fluval canister filter, Flourite Dark substrate.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
It is the difference in source water parameter I'd say. Your old place has all the goodness in plant nutrients, in terms of perhaps agricultural land juice seeping over and wide array of earth minerals.

While at the new place the water source is a lot different. Even water from a source just half a mile away would be different in quality and content.

To overcome this, you need to add complete set of fertilizer (and dont just guess of the powders you have when unsure).
If you are tight on budget, try EI way of dosing and get some fertilizer powders (aquascaping ones) from forum onlinestore greenleaf aquariums (orlando). Contains N,P,K micros and iron.
Crinkled leaves usually due to lack of calcium in your water (enough gH does not mean sufficient Ca). May want to add a tad bit of CaCl2 as well.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

the dry ferts are for aquatic plants

I am pretty sure the white powder is K2S04...not so sure on the other one. I know I bought them from someone who is a hobbyist. I wanna say Tom Barr or someone like that... I'm not just dumping random chems in. I'll have to check my amonia again at the LFS...I think it was ok last time tho. Also, I tried lower light before, and I got poor results...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
If you could take good pictures of each I could tell you what they are..

Regards, O
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
don't add RO. looks like a case of lack of Ca,Mg.. You might want to dose those nutrients. I'm pretty sure you'll lacking Nitrogen too, Add KNO3 or something.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

Is the UV sterilizer zapping some of the nutrients too?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you running the sterilizer all the time? Try an hour or two a day during blackouts until water clears. Go to GreenLeaf Aquariums, order the package ive linked you to, and start there... -Aaron

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation_04 View Post
I am pretty sure the white powder is K2S04...not so sure on the other one. I know I bought them from someone who is a hobbyist. I wanna say Tom Barr or someone like that... I'm not just dumping random chems in. I'll have to check my amonia again at the LFS...I think it was ok last time tho. Also, I tried lower light before, and I got poor results...
Actually you are just dumping in random chems with no rhyme or reason... You are guessing at the game of life(for your plants). Jsut get your NEW ferts and decide on a dosing regime.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I used 2 55 watt PC AH Supply bulbs on the 29 gallon tank I used to have. It was algae heaven! I had the CO2 cranked up high enough to occasionally kill a fish or two, dosed per EI, did weekly water changes, and had to prune about twice a week. Then one bulb broke, for some reason. While I was waiting for a new bulb the tank was doing better, so I ran it on just one bulb for several weeks after I got the new bulb. My algae problems got much better, and I could prune just weekly. Later, I used just one 36 watt bulb with equal results.

Two PC bulbs on a 29 gallon tank is too much light. Not knowing how to dose fertilizers, or what to dose is another mistake. Using RO/DI water without reconstituting it with GH booster is another mistake. That gives you three things to try to improve your tank.

Hoppy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just curious, but why are people digging up a 2 year old thread?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Just curious, but why are people digging up a 2 year old thread?

Newb mistake.....My bad,

Was searching around for info and started posting with total disregard to date and timestamps.... Im such a rebel. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode