Snail Question??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Snail Question???

Hi, why assassin snail are call like that? Are they killers? Do they eat fish or Shrimps? I like them but I couldn't find their profile.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
They are relatively new to the hobby. That's probably why you didn't find a profile for them. Google is a good place to start, though. Their scientific name is Anentome helena. They are called assassin snails because they seem to eat all other snails other than themselves. To my knowledge, they aren't known to eat shrimp or fish, but I would imagine that if a fish was small enough and slow enough, the snail could eat it, but I doubt that would actually happen. Same thing for shrimp, too.

So essentially, if you are having a snail infestation of large proportions, and you can't/won't put any loaches or puffers in the tank to exterminate them, you might consider assassin snails, because they don't reproduce as wildly as most other snails.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
They wouldn't pass up a dead shrimp but I do notice a definite pecking order or stuff they want to eat. Like eating a ramshorns or a baby apple snails before eating a MTS

I'll have a bunch in about 2 weeks or less

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks!

Do you guys know where to get them?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
baz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
From Arakkis in about 2 weeks or less.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
This may answer some of your questions.......

http://arizonainverts.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=204

This posting was approved by:
William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode