Plants for Goldfish/cold water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Plants for Goldfish/cold water?

I was directed here from the plants forum so here we go.

I've got a 29g that I'm in the slow process of trying to convert to a planted tank. It would be glorious to just tear it down and start from scratch. But alas, this is impossible as it's currently the only home for my goldfish.
I technically could just dump them in the 10 gallon but the biggest fish is 6" long, 1/3 the length of the tank, swear to god.

Right now I've got a basic plan down of how I want it to look, involving a moss wall and filling in the back wth anacharis, but I really do want some more variety with plants.

So I need a list of plants that basically fit these conditions;

1. They need to be colder water plants that generally thrive well in the same temperature
2. They need to stand up to (or even nicely tolerate) being eaten and/or abused by my goldfish(read: 6" godzilla fish.)

Possible plant list;
Moss wall (weeping moss/Fissidens?)
Anacharis
Vallisneria
Cryptocryne (?)
Nymphaea (Tiger lotus?)
Anubias nana 'petite' (?) i kind of want one just because it's so tiny and cute and it could live on the drift wood
Dwarf sag
Moss carpet (Flame moss?)

So, Uh, I think that might about cover it.

Some really vauge tank specs, since I'm stuck housesitting away from it;
29 gallons
60 watt coralife w/ 50/50 bulb on a timer from 10am-2pm, might also get some indirect sunlight in the morning
fluorite black substrate, 2/3 regular 1/3 sand, ranges from 3-2" deep (I'm going to add some white sand in around the front as a beach sort of thing, my poor black moor gets lost in the fluorite)
not entirely sure of the water parameters as I havent been able to test in ... a really long while.

So, oh wise minds of Plantedtank.net, have you any suggestions?

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

Last edited by Dollface; 10-07-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't know a lot about goldfish, but have you tried googling it? I googled "planted goldfish tank" and came up with several sites. Below are a couple. There are also some videos on YouTube.

http://thegab.org/Articles/GoldfishPlantsLowTech.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/PlantYourGoldfishTank.html
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
for goldfish, anything thick leaved is your best bet.

How cold is your tank? If it's around 70, most plants will be just fine.

In my goldfish tank, I have giant valisneria, a couple of sword plants, anubias, and some java fern. There's also cabomba in there, as a "fancy salad bar". Surprisingly, my goldies don't do much with the cabomba other than to repeatedly pull it out. What they do eat (in small amounts) are the vals. However, they grow fast enough that they're pretty forgiving.

I've heard onion plants are also good for goldfish.

Depending on your substrate, a lily/lotus might do well too.

Yes, you can use moss as a carpet. I'm planning on trying this in my community tank downstairs. Apparently, you do it the same way as making a carpet of riccia: spread the moss in a layer over a piece of slate or some cross stitching plastic, wrap a hair net around it, then weight down the edges with rocks and wait for it to grow in. You have to keep trimming, then putting the pieces you trimmed under the net.

Good luck!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Seedreemer: i've googled it a billion times over, and read most of the sites atleast twice. The thing is, most sites concentrate on plants the goldfish wont eat, when i want plants that they will. Fancy salad bar and all

chilligirl: technically i have a heater set for around 70, but it feels warmer than that, my thermometre dissapeared to somewhere during a move, so i have to get a new one :\

I was considering some giant vals acctually, so it's good to hear that they're working for you (camboba would also be nice as i really like the look, especially red camboba, but alas, i doupt i gould get a high enough light settup for that)

And i'll definately look into (dwarf?)onion plant

thanks for the moss carpet tip, i guess i'll do it the same way as my moss wall, with window screen

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Java Fern is always an easy alternative and it's too tough for goldies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

my goldfish actually ate all the java fern i've put in the tank, it wasnt that great a specimen in the first place, but i've just never had good luck with it.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
The thing is, most sites concentrate on plants the goldfish wont eat, when i want plants that they will.
Ohhhhh.......duh, I missed that detail.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Algae Grower

Ha ha, I was going to say get some duckweed....

Goldies won't eat anything to order...you can put stuff that they "supposedly don't like" and it will either be eaten or die because they uproot it....that is the big challenge..

Goldies uproot everything even if they don't eat it unless it is capped with rocks too big for them to budge. You may have to be content with planting a bunch of stuff they won't eat with a rock cap and then throwing in some fast growing surface plants for them to snack on.

They'll tear apart mosses and destroy marimo balls (they really, really like marimo balls), uproot everything that might have some mulm at the base....

IMO -Rocks, crinum, vals and crypts and lotus. Only way to go with goldies and then throw them some victims...I mean edibles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I WISH I could get some duckweed going in that tank, I've gotten bunches of it the size of my fists from my LFS and the fish have eaten all of it, withen 2 hours.

Is there any way to cap stem plants with rocks so they cant uproot it? The fluorite in the back is pretty deep and heavy, and kept the anacharis in place okay when i first put it in. Even with godzillafish going completely insane.

Oh god, Marimo balls, I got one of those along with the tank, and they absolutely destroyed it. I finally had to gather up the remnants this past week and toss it out.

the pictures of crinum look gorgeous, but i'm a little worried about slow growth (i guess that'd go for crypts too. I'm especially tempted by Beckettii, will goldfish be more or less tempted to eat red plants?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

salvinia lasts longer and they won't eat it if you are looking for something aesthetically pleasing.

but you need some light for that too.

Not necessarily a colour thing...try some hornwort or foxtail in the colder water...it grows like stink and they won't eat it but they will tear it out by the roots...it can float too so that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a planted goldfish tank, I have anubias in there, some vals, and some broad leafed hygro.

15G Planted Aquarium of Red Cherry Shrimps, Crystal Red, Black Shrimps & cute dwarf puffer. :p
50G Planted Aquarium of 6 Goldfishes, 2 Weather Loaches, 4 Silver Cories & 1 Pleco.
20G Planted Aquarium - Emerald Green , Tiger & Blue Pearl shrimp tank.
10G Office/Lab Planted Aquarium with Neons and Galaxy Rasboras
5G Hexagon Aquarium of baby Goldfishes.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

I use river pebbles sold by the bag at the nursery, used them in the pond for the potted plants and the koi (8-10") never disturbed them.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned

do you just place the pebbles around the stalks then?

I think if i'm going to get into decorative floating plants that arnt for the fish to eat, I'd like somthing like fairy moss maybe, or somthing with an intresting root structure

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
I WISH I could get some duckweed going in that tank, I've gotten bunches of it the size of my fists from my LFS and the fish have eaten all of it, withen 2 hours.

Is there any way to cap stem plants with rocks so they cant uproot it? The fluorite in the back is pretty deep and heavy, and kept the anacharis in place okay when i first put it in. Even with godzillafish going completely insane.

Oh god, Marimo balls, I got one of those along with the tank, and they absolutely destroyed it. I finally had to gather up the remnants this past week and toss it out.

the pictures of crinum look gorgeous, but i'm a little worried about slow growth (i guess that'd go for crypts too. I'm especially tempted by Beckettii, will goldfish be more or less tempted to eat red plants?
want about a soccer ball sized amount of duckweed? Pm me.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 06:11 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Since no one has said this ill say it, a 50/50 Bulb is normally used in salt water. You might consider finding a good 6500k bulb for your fixture. Other than that i wish you the best i had a monster gold fish and he ate ANYTHING that went in the tank, including fish small enough to fit in his mouth, heck he even tried eating my arm when i was cleaning the tank, and plants forget it they were ate within mins, mine wasn't picky he ate anything.

Tags
cold water plants, goldfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode