Lost one of my rainbow fish this morning. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lost one of my rainbow fish this morning.

Everything was going swimmingly (excuse the pun), then something seems to have upset the balance.

Iíve not changed anything, the fish stock has remained the same for a long time now, not introduced any new plants, not done filter maintenance.
Ok, I admit that my weekly water changes did slip for 2 weeks as I had a lot on my plate.

The other day I noticed one of my prized Rainbow fish that I've had for years and years (3.5 to 4 inches long) had a few Ďsuspiciousí looking scales at the base of the tail fin. I kept an eye, and over the course of a few days it started to look a bit sore. I also caught one of my Odessy Barbs trying to pick at it. I also noticed that the lips on one of my Parkinsons Rainbow Fish looked a little white Ė maybe fungal.

So, off down the LFS I went, and bought some Ďanti fungal and fin rotí treatment. Did a 25% water change and dosed the tank up.

This morning I found my rainbow at the bottom of the tank, so took it out (hereís the pic)

Quickly tested the water Ė everything was good APART from the Nitrate, which was (from memory) 40ppm

I have now proceeded to do a 50% water change again, and will do another 50% over the weekend at some point. The water that I replaced I dosed some more treatment, and also added a tiny bit a salt

My plants arenít looking in the best of nick either, but I know that itís about time for some more root tabs, and my jungle vals have gone mad so need cutting back to allow for more light to get through Ė so thatís not that much of an issue.

Iím thinking that somewhere, behind some plants, rock, wood, there is a dead-patch, where all the fish waste may be building up (somewhere where I canít get to when I to a vacuum), which may be causing some levels to rise, even though my ammonia were fine in the water tests.

Any ideas, or suggestions? Or could it just be; rainbow big = rainbow old = rainbow more prone to catching something = rainbow caught something = rainbow died.

Oh, I think the lips on the Parkinsons Rainbow have cleared Ė well, I couldnít find it anyway, unless thatís died and is behind something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Could have just been old .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode