LED advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED advice?

Setting up my first tank and the last piece of equipment I need to get is the overhead light. Since I'll be flirting with high temps and I'm trying not to invest in a chiller I'm leaning toward a LED light system.

It's a regular sized 125 so dimensions are 72in long by 22in deep. It's gonna be a planted tank mostly b/c I don't want to mess with water changes as far as I can help it. So I'm looking for a LED light that can support plant growth but not necessarily anything too bright. My goal is to grow out the plants I'll need to keep the nitrates balanced and then maintain the plants at that level of growth. I don't necessarily need the LED to support fast plant growth, just enough to slowly grow and then maintain mature plants.

Would like to achieve a slim look with a single LED unit that extends the entire length of the tank.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Build your own LEDs

X2,Finnex ray2 36"
X4 Finnex planted + 36"

X4 current satellite+ 36"

I chose to use x4 Finnex planted + on my 125 for low light.

It all depends on your goal. High light/list light. Plant types etc
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Aquatic plants will continue to grow if they are healthy. They are never "mature". Eventually even anubias can need pruning and thinning out. I think what you want is a low light tank, with slow growing plants, so you only need to attend to pruning once a year or so. If that is true, you will want to avoid stem plants, which tend to be very vigorous growers. You will want to avoid vals, which reproduce like rabbits! You will want to keep the light intensity down to around 25-30 PAR at the substrate. Anubias are very subject to algae problems, due to their large leaf surface, non growing mature leaves, and very slow growth, but they would fit your needs if you can avoid the algae. Mosses would also fit your needs, but can also require a lot of thinning out. With mosses and anubias, you could probably get by with as little as 20 PAR at the substrate, further reducing the exposure to algae problems.

Look for a light or lights that will produce about 20 PAR at about 20 inches distance, assuming you will have 2 inches of substrate. That could be Marineland double bright LED lights.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode