Stunted growth help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stunted growth help!

I currently have stunted growth in my 20 gallon tank. I have two t5 ho bulbs plant grow 6500k by ocean sun and I have about an inch and a half of flora max substrate. My water parameters are 20 drops kh 18 drops gh. Nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ammonia 0 phosphates . 5 pH 7.6 or higher. Is my real problem due to my ridiculously hard water? I can hardly ever bring my pH down unless my diy setup has a brand new mix which only goes strong for two days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140927_151609.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	379809  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, if your nitrates are staying firmly at or near 0, that will stunt plants. Plants need nitrates.

18GH/20KH is pretty hard, and some plants won't like that, others will be fine with it. However, I'd investigate the nitrate problem first, as that will affect all plants.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

So maybe my fish load is a tad light? I have three Galaxy raspora, 2 marble hatchet fish, 1 Siamensis algae eater about 4 inches long, a yoyo loach about 2 inches long, and two harlequin raspora. Would ei dosing be a viable solution? Currently I dose with seachem iron, Excel, and potassium. Iron on Tuesday Thursday Saturday and potassium on Monday Wednesday Friday. Excel daily

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
how long has this tank been running for? With 0's across the board I wonder if the tank cycled at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Almost two years now. I had crazy growth for a year and then it stopped. My rotalla got really tall and thin. My wisteria is even stunted. I replaced my t5 ho bulbs about three weeks ago
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You need to dose some kno3 (nitrate) in your weekly rotation.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Any idea how much? I have some dry kno3.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1 on the KNO3.

Alternative solutions:

1) osmocote root tabs, adding nitrate to the substrate. Only works for root feeders, but looks like many of your plants are. It won't help anything growing up on your driftwood though.

2) lighten up the water changes a bit to let the nitrate level climb naturally (but watch out for the nutrients you are dosing getting too high if not checked by water changes)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Two T8 bulbs are the correct light for a 20g tank without injected CO2.
EI dosing is too much ferts for no injected CO2.
But you might try the "EI Low light/weekly" dosing list.
I did not like the results I got by using screen wire on top of the tank to cut the light so I would suggest you find a way to raise the light till it's at least 20" above the sub. Then you can start by using 7 hrs per day. If you wish to view it early and later in the day it won't hurt and may help if you got a timer and used for example 7-9 A.M. and then off till 5-10 P.M.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode