shutter speed for pics of fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
shutter speed for pics of fish

I'm using a canon G9 PowerShot... What's the best shutter speed to catch swimming fish in pics?

thanks for your help

PATIENCE IS KEY.... AND A GOOD ALGAE SCRAPER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
play with it take alot of shots and see which one come out better and check what settings you used I dont know about you specfic model but I have a canon powershot a590is and if you press disp while reviewing you can see your settings for that shot. try 1/60 and move up pictures might be dark also move your aperture up some to compensate for darkness i have mine maxed at 5.0 at the moment but our lighting might bee different, so you have to play with yours and see what suits you better. also try turning up the iso some. hope this helps you
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ya the faster i set it the darker it goes even with the iso at 800

I'll try and find the aperture and play with it...

PATIENCE IS KEY.... AND A GOOD ALGAE SCRAPER

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
depends on how fast the fish is. If it's a fast fish like a danio or rasbora, you'd even have to use flash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I think the G9 has the flash hot shoe on top... buy an external flash, the crazy overpriced hot shoe adapter, and take pictures with the flash from above for best results.

That way you get a short "shutter speed" at 1/5000s or shorter, even if the shutter is open 1/250s or so, for sharp images of moving fish.

Or just use the build-in flash, shooting from a slight angle to reduce reflections.

Fish photos without flash are pretty rare and usually hopeless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
With any moving subject you want to use the fastest shutter speed you can to get the proper exposure. That shutter speed is really dependant upon the maximum aperture, to give you an idea though I've got a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens, with the aperture wide open the best shutter speed I can get at ISO 800 is about 1/60 without a flash. With the aperture opened wide some times it's difficult to tell if blur is from fish movement or because the depth of focus is so shallow at that aperture, more often I'll stop down the lens to F4.0 or smaller (lenses are usually optomized for clarity at F8.0, if I can I try to use F8.0) and use a flash with a shutter speed 1/100 or faster.

I use the pop up flash on my camera with a scrap of white paper covering the flash held in place by a rubber band then set up a remote flash with an optical slave trigger at an angle to the camera and an angle to the aquarium glass, some times it takes a few shots to get the right angles but I've had pretty good results. Depending on the aquarium and the fish some times it's easier to shoot up close with a wide angle lens, other times I've had better luck standing back from the aquarium with a zoom lens.

If you try to use a remote slave with an optical trigger be aware that Canon cameras use a preflash for metering, the preflash will trigger the slave instead of the intended flash that is synced with the shutter. To get around this you'll have to use the FEL button, if your camera doesn't have a FEL function you may not be able to use an optical trigger.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
1/60 or faster usually. At times you can drop shutter speed below that and still get usable shots; it just depends on what you're shooting. Observe your fish and take note of how they move.

Eric

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Algae Grower

Use the sports mode, it will give you better pictures if you are not good at using the manual controls.

-Preeths

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode