12 step program to cure MTS (multi-tank-syndrome)? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
12 step program to cure MTS (multi-tank-syndrome)?

Is there some 12 step program to cure multi-tank-syndrome?

Hello, my name is Robert and I started with just 1 tank... and now I have 4 at the house and 1 at the office.

It all started with a simple Betta rescue. Some fool gave my mother a Betta in a jar with a Lilly in it when her second husband passed. She knows nothing of fish and really doesn't want to know about them. So, she sets this Lilly jar on the kitchen counter and promptly forgets about it... 3 months later I am home for Christmas and ask "What is in the jar?"... "Probably fish bones, I forget to feed it..." ... Folks, the jar is a nasty green color and puts off a nasty odor when I lift the plastic lid the Lilly is poked through... I think to myself, the Betta can't possibly still be alive after 3 months in that mess with no food. So, I figure I'll dump it and get rid if the stink... Low and behold as I am pouring it out I notice something move... so I get a clean glass and put fresh water in it and strain the Betta out into it... yes the fish was still alive... very thin and had a bad case of fin rot. Took it home and put it into a 5 gallon planted container I have here and added heater and filter and it lived for 2 more years... and most of the fin rot cleared up. And yes, after that it was addicting, on to the 12 gallon, then the 46 gallon with swordtails and mollies, then the 12 gallon broke, then on to a 3 gallon for the office, then a 75 gallon with cichlids to take care of the fry from the 46 gallon... Then after new fish and and Ich battle, a 16 gallon bowfront kit to use as a QT tank.

And that my friends is my story... and I am while I am certain I don't want to cure my problem, I am also certain I don't need anymore tank... to bad I find myself eyeballing them everytime I see them in a store.

Robert

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hello, my name is Dave and I'm an aquaholic.

I've had a fish tank since I was 10 years old. During college I had to take a few-years break from the hobby. When I FINALLY graduated (is 11 years too long for a B.S.? ) I got married and started raising little children.

Then, last Christmas I told my wife I'd like to start the hobby again. So, she gets me a 50 gal and I stumbled into the world of Planted Tanks. I've only had it set up for 9 months and all I can do is think about what my next tank should be planted with. I dream up schemes to try and talk my wife into another tank...for the kids of coarse... .

The only reason I haven't got another tank is because my finances won't allow it. (That's another way of saying my wife has me whipped. )

Oh, and don't get me started on collectoritis of different plants. DANG!

-Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

I wonder if any one else shows symptoms of the twitching when perusing through the aquatic plant profiles and dreaming about the contents of their fish tanks..?

I can't say I'm much better since I've just set up three tanks since October 2008 (?), I've found it quite effective to calm your MTS and collectoritis if you have other things to focus on. In my case, feeding and cleaning after seven cats and remembering that their food and vet bills come first.. *huge sigh*

Davemonkey: Remember to show your children lots of vivid pictures and trips to the fish stores during the process - it'll just fuel them further.. *evil laughter*

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Step one: date an accountant
Skipping a few obvious steps here
Step eight: marry aforementioned accountant

If your MTS isn't at least curbed by this point you're either uncurable, or she lied about being an accountant!

Steps nine through twelve are even more drastic and have been edited for content by the Public Broadcasting Network. To receive a full, unedited copy of this broadcast send a self addressed, stamped parcel to.... okay I've gone too far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20L build in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 75 (the old tank)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Jagonchipmunk - LOL
Davemonkey - I have 2 free tanks for you!
SleepySin - you're just dividing your time between your two addictions!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't even try to fight it anymore!!! I have room for one more, and that is all my wife is allowing in this house. We will have to move so I can get more tanks. As it is our living room/dining room allready looks like a fish store. 1-55 gal, 1-40 gal, 1-20h, 1-5 gal, 6-10 gal. And soon to come hopefully, either another 20h or a 30h.

Tim

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm currently trying to figure out how to cram more tanks into my "spouse-allocated footprint"... I think I need to go UP. Anyone around here really good at welding?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
3 55's, 1 29, 2 20H, 1 20L, 1 26 Bow, 2 5.5 and now I just finished my fish room so add in 24 10's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0001.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	12263  

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
3 55's, 1 29, 2 20H, 1 20L, 1 26 Bow, 2 5.5 and now I just finished my fish room so add in 24 10's.

so when does your new store open since you hace exceded the mamimum alowible tanks to still call it a hoby and not a business

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
"spouse-allocated footprint".
That strikes a real chord.

The funny thing is that lauralleellbp sounds like a woman. I did not realize that men had any say about space allocation inside the home. That is a new one on me.

The office is a real thought. Especially since I don't pay for electricity there. Now if I could just get them to plumb my office for automatic water changes. . .

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
just T a line off of the coffee machine ;-)

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

Ha! Here it is the other way around...I have to seek 'approval' before adding another tank as they are mostly in our living areas and we are space challenged. I can just stick tanks wherever I have stands if they are already the right size/strength but he has me hostage when I go for something that needs a new stand...."I'll make it when I get the time". HA!!!
I have a 65 gallon tank sitting in a bedroom on it's end waiting for the 'time' to make a stand....we are going on 3 months now....I already had to promise to eliminate a tank in one of the bedrooms when it goes up....

and to think I started back into aquariums for stress relief...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hi my name is Glenn and I am aquaholic.

My twelve step program to curing MTS.

Step 1: Do not get overly involved in internet forums that act as a catalyst in 50% of the stuff you "want to try because it looks cool" (Becoming moderator does not help this at all.)

Step 2: Stay away from local clubs that act as a catalyst in the other 50% of the stuff you "want to try because it looks cool"

Step 3: Stop getting internet so you can avoid the temptation for step one and two.

Step 4: Cut up all credit cards and debit cards.

Step 5: Deactivate paypal account. (Should be implicit with Step 3, but you never know what you're going to do when you "need a fix")

Step 6: Use mass transit to get to work to avoid any temptations of "let me just pop into Fishtown on my way home to see if they got anything good", which, lets face it is almost always.

Step 7: When someone is giving away fishtanks, cover your ears and stamp your feet like a three year and regurgitate "I will not take home fish tanks, I will not take home fish tanks"

Step 8: Marry someone who does not like the hobby (or someone who is an extreme environmentalist who thinks that housing fish is cruelty to animals)

Step 9: Move into a place that has limited space to put tanks.

Step 10: Unsubscribe to any fish or plant related magazines including DrsFostersmith, Bigals, TFH, etc. (You should also remove all reference books as well)

Step 11: Disassociate any friendships that you have now that are involved in the hobby. This may require you to throw out your cell phone and get a new phone number so they can't call you either. You may also want to consider moving which would go well with Step 9.

Step 12: Move to a desserted island. (Goes well with Steps 9 and 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
That is sweet!! Case in point for 12 steps above...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
h2osanity,

You know, there are lots of women who do wood working these days. It really is not that hard.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Step 3: Stop getting internet so you can avoid the temptation for step one and two.
This is how i stopped at 4 tanks for a while,(obviously i now have regular internet access). Space and renting have always been a major limiting factor too.

The next tank I buy will be a big one- 75 or larger. . .so that'll happen when i get a new job LOL

but that won't stop me from reinventing the current supply! I have an empty 10 I'm trying to resist!

chees-K

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode