modifying my 48" coarlife - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
modifying my 48" coarlife

OK i have a question about the product mentioned in the title. It comes with two switched but only plug to go into the wall and i was wondering if there was anyway i could make it have two outlets two where i could controls both stes of lights with different timers? I want to do this because i want to run two bulbs all day long and for 2-4 hours of the day i want to run the other two along with those. Since i am not always home i want to be able to do this with two seperate timers. Is there any way i could splice into the cord or something like that. If you have any question please let me know.

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ive been wondering the same thing.....

I doubt it though unless your a master electrian
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Couldn't you remove the stock ballast and add 2 Work Horse 3 ballasts and two power cords. There are wiring diagrams on Fulham's site.

http://fulham.com/Detail_Ballasts.php?ID=WH3-120-L

or

http://fulham.com/Detail_Ballasts.php?ID=WH3-120-C

EDIT: Wiring Diagrams - http://fulham.com/wiringdiagrams.php

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Last edited by Left C; 09-27-2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added Wiring Diagrams

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I saw a post somewhere of somebody doing this on a tek light I believe. The unit was wired with one cord going to two switches. All they had to do was run a second cord and wire it up so one cord went to each switch. Pop open your coralife and you'll probably have the same thing. As long as there are two ballast you're good to go.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandelevan View Post
Ive been wondering the same thing.....

I doubt it though unless your a master electrian
Nah, easy to do I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb300 View Post
I saw a post somewhere of somebody doing this on a tek light I believe. The unit was wired with one cord going to two switches. All they had to do was run a second cord and wire it up so one cord went to each switch. Pop open your coralife and you'll probably have the same thing. As long as there are two ballast you're good to go.
Yep, as long as there's a second ballast, you could probably look up the wiring schematics and figure out how to do it yourself.

All you need is an extra grounded power cord and possibly another set of wires for the ballast-bulb connection (probably not though).

Post up pictures of the ballast and we'll help. I've wire and re-wired quite a few sets already...and made some mistakes too.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
shouldn't be hard at all, just need a cord, you can use an old extension cord(or new one) and just cut it to use.

This is assuming there is 2 ballasts, which 99% sure there is, b/c I've never seen or heard of one ballast that can be controlled like that.

Just open it up, look at how the existing cord attaches to the switch(both), then remove the wires going to the extra switch and wire them to the new cord just like the other one. Should take 10mins max as long as the fixture comes apart easy. You may need a couple wire nuts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to try and figure it our tomorrow when i get home, i do know it has a built in ballast i dont know if that throws off these plans any or not, i dont know if it has two ballast or not on the box it just says bulit in ballast. I will keep yall posted

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
sureje (spelling?, his name is sergio) did this with his tek that he is using on his 120p

-Chris

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

Found the page I was talking about.
http://www.njagc.net/articles/saveafewonteklighting.htm
You'll probably have to do it the same way as on that page but you may have to drill a hole for another cord. Not sure if the coralife has the cap for an extra cord like the tek does. Wal-mart will have everything you need to do this, and I believe they even sell replacement appliance cords so you won't have to cut an extension cord.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok guys I opened my fixture and this is what I have, I have four connection points, there are two ballast and this other little box that is coated in grade 8. There are two red wires coming out that the box with grade 8 on it both of the ballast have one black wire with a white strip down it and one regular white wire. There are four wire that come from the switches and of course the three wire from my plug and three more from the plug that I am going to add I am going to describe the four connection that I have and hopefully someone can tell me how I need to modity them

1st connection
One of the red wires from the unknown box
Both of the black and white wires from the ballast
And the white wire from my current plug

2nd connection
The other red wire from the unknown box
The black wire from the 1st ballast
And the wire from the lower left switch wire

3rd connection
One black wire from the 2nd ballast
The wire from the lower right switch wire

4th connection
The black wire from my current plug
Both of the wires from the top switches

Ok now I just need to know where to separate the wire as to make on plug control one set of lights and the other plug control the other set. So I need to know what wires to switch around and where to put the other three from the new plug I am planning on putting in there I posted a pic from the unknown box below

pic of the connections

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay this is the basic layout the two big boxes are ballast the smaller one is the unknow, the four black wires that are in rectangular form are the wires from the switchs and the blck, brown and green wires are from the current plug, brown actually reps white

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
With a ballast name/brand/model, I could pull up the wiring diagram and help. Without it, it'll be harder.

And in the diagram, it'd be helpful if you label the bulbs, the power switches, and the cord.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

What you have.

What you want.

Sorry about my awesome photoshop skill, I don't have my circuit diagram program anymore.

First off, your mystery box is a 12 volt dc transformer for your cooling fans (almost positive). It doesn't matter which way this gets wired up so thats why both wires are the same color. Just make sure the transformer is wired to the switch for the ballast that will be on the most.

Wire all the black wires and one of the orange wires together. Wire one of the white wires to each one of the switches, one switch needs an orange wire too. Wire the green wires together and these should be attached to the light casing (ground).
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it was a coarlife electronic ballast looked at a photo and it said model SPL- 255R-JS rapid start electronic ballast and i could label those things my program was messing up and as for labeling the bulbs they were not really connected to anything i was planning on doing all of the wire for the bulbs came out of one side and te other two i were using were coming out of the other side. At least i dont think the bnulb wires have to do with anything i am trying to accomplish

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Algae Grower

No you won't have to change anything with the wires going to the bulbs.

And I forgot to label the wire colors in my drawing. Blue = white wires, black = black, and green = ground.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode