what should i do with this tank??:(PLEASE HELP(pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unhappy what should i do with this tank??:(PLEASE HELP(pics)

i have been cycaling this tank for about for ever(2 months) it is almost there ammonia 0ppm and nitrites 0.5ppm.the problem is this take is infested with all sorts of algae every where substrate,glass,plants every where(pics below) i dont know what to do?should i dose flourish excel or should i get some algae eaters snails,ottos,some sort of dwarf pleco etc..this is going to be a rcs tank so nothing to big to harm the rcs's....please help me to clear this tank up it is driving me crazy thank you

Last edited by i love planted tanks; 12-23-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
before anyone can help much more info will be necessary

what size is the tank
what is in there now (plants, fish, shrimp)
how much light do you have and what type
what (if any) is your current dosing regime
also give any other info about the setup that is pertinent
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
its a standard 55gal just plants right now java fern,2 stems of hygrow i will be getting more plants for it when it is better...light only a single 40 watt 6500k flouresent bulb....not dosing fertz.i dont dose fertz in my tanks and all my plants do very well

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use an eye drop or some other similar device to aim hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) at some particularly affected leaves as a test. It works for me on that stringy/wavy/thready-type algae, turning it crimson. I suspect h2o2 provides too much oxygen. Caveat: I've had my best success in a 2.5 gallon tank, aiming the liquid at a certain plant, but it escaped, caused the whole tank to bubble for an hour or so with all that extra oxygen(probably confusing Bob the Betta), but it took out all that particular kind of algae pretty quickly with no apparent harm to anything else in the tank. I saw results by the next day and the wavy algae hasn't returned in 2-3 weeks. If it does (which is a natural thing), I'll do the same. I had some very pretty, emerald green algae on Bob's tunnel I built him. I washed that with a natural, health-food-store liquid soap (which one time I got a bit in my eyes and it did not sting at all). I rinsed it well and it has been algae free for more than a week; I do expect that to come back in time though. Just some ideas
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Add more plants to out compete the algae for nutrients, cut photo period back if your running 11-12 hrs, start double or triple dosing excel, and get a UV Sterilizer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode