Need Advice! Please!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Need Advice! Please!!!

I have the Eheim 2180, and with no problems. I need to get a UV sterilizer. I have been eyeing the turbo twist. I have seen different numbers for the different watts, and need to know what size to get (18 or 36). I would like to put it in-line after the filter before the spray bar.

To complicate things, I have thought about adding another filter. I was looking at going to the FX5, which would mean I would need to add heaters, etc. Or being that I have a nice expensive Eheim already, should I just add another smaller canister if I want to increase flow. And if I did that, no need for other heaters, and can use the turbo twist that would fit the 2180 and no need to worry about upgrading that later too.

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
How big is your tank?

I'd just add another smaller filter. Or if you get the FX5 and sell your 2180, I'd like dibs on it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

210 Gallon.

210 g - Empty right now

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Maybe an additional FX5 wouldn't hurt. A heavily planted 210g w/ fish is a lot to filter. I'll let the big-tank experts chime in though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I'm planning on running an fx5 on a 125. I know its "rated" for a 400 gallon tank and 900 gph but that is the manufacturer rating and pump alone with no head. With just the sponges the flow slow to the 600 gph range and this is acoording to the documentation found on the net and directions. With other items in-line, that flow will drop more.

Now with all that said, I don't know if it will or won't be enough for a planted 210 on its on. It could be but I would be skeptical. You likely will need more flow, but not filtration.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmmm...... So would adding the turbo twist to the 2180 and then just adding the FX5 do it??? I know I could get the larger turbo twist and add it to the FX5, but that even takes more $$$$. I would just get the UV sterilizer at first, and then save for the FX5.

210 g - Empty right now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
The flow rate of the fx5 would be more than the parasitic flow rating of the (36 watt) TurboTwist 12x, this is 290 gph. At that flow rate or less, the UV will kill all algae and parasites in the water. From 290 - 680, it will get some parasites and algae.

It doesn't seem like the fx5 would be much of an upgrade over your Eheim. So if I were you, I would not do the fx5.

Your 2180 may move too much water for the Turbo Twist 12x. It has a rated flow of 450gph.

You may want to consider a powerhead to run the Turbo Twist, hydro koralia's to move water to increase your circulation and another canister if you are having filtration issues.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I was gonna suggest the same thing- save yourself a ton of $$ and just add a powerhead or two. Stick a sponge prefilter on them if you feel the need to up your biological/mechanical filtration.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode